Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question (might seem stupid)

gcheok
10-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Hi all,

Stumble upon this forum while surfing the web. And I like the environment here, especially the pics of the models you guys built, really make me want to build one that nice.

Anyway, here's my question, do you paint the parts first then cement them together or do you cement them then paint them?

Problem with painting first then cementing the parts is that the paint might come off and merge with other colors. While it will be difficult to paint the parts when they are cemented together already. Any advise or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. now I know I must use primer to make them shinny, have been doing a few without primer, no wonder they don't shine at all, will take some pics and post them soon.

MaxSE
10-10-2002, 10:22 AM
do you paint the parts first then cement them together or do you cement them then paint them?

In all cases i prefer to paint then cement. Which i can imagine is what most people do here. The only exeception in my case would be the rear view mirrors which i prefer to cement first if they are going to be color coordinated with the body. Or else i stick to the above rule! :)
Welcome to AF:ylsuper

fatboyslim
10-10-2002, 09:06 PM
WELCOME To AF!!
No question is stupid!!
Take a look at the FAQ's at the top of the thread list most things are covered there!
If you need any help just ask we're a fairly nice bunch of guys and gals and will always help a newbie!!

COZMO6476
10-10-2002, 10:36 PM
i say it depends on the parts. for example on the one hand, i would glue the two halves of an engine together first so that i can match up the seams and putty if necessary. then i paint it. on the other hand, when dealing with complex parts like suspension, i paint first, then glue since its easier to access the different complex parts individually before they are glued. you just have to see what would be easiest for the given situation. hope that helps

djmr2
10-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by gcheok

Thanks.

P.S. now I know I must use primer to make them shinny, have been doing a few without primer, no wonder they don't shine at all, will take some pics and post them soon.

Primer does not make ur paint shiny. Primer gives paint something to hold onto, rather than trying to hold onto smooth plastic.

gcheok
10-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys for the advice!

Will know what to do for my next model. In the meantime, will be posting some pics of the models I made....please give comments and advice.

BTW, what makes a car shine if it isn't primer?

Forhod
10-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by gcheok
Thanks guys for the advice!

Will know what to do for my next model. In the meantime, will be posting some pics of the models I made....please give comments and advice.

BTW, what makes a car shine if it isn't primer?

Tamiya Acylic Paint.
They shine!~ :cool:

Daryl
10-11-2002, 01:27 PM
An even coat of paint and a good polish

MaukaRunner
10-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Paint shine is dependent on a lot of things. Mostly it's how close you spray the paint. The farther away you spray the paint will probably be dry when it hits the surface. Try practicing on a scrap piece of plastic to get familiar on how far to spray. The nicer the paint is initially, the easier to get a mirror smooth surface thru polishing.

I've gotten even egg shell type paint to shine like a mirror. If you are still on the color coat, try using clear and using a polishing kit. I like to use Lacquer paint so I can use automotive polishes and compounds. Good luck!

tonioseven
10-11-2002, 02:29 PM
There are no stupid questions when it comes to modeling; that's how we get better!!!:)

gcheok
10-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, you a great bunch!

I have another question, how do I distinguish between acrylic, lacquer etc spray?

The paint I normally spray on the body is Mr Color or Tamiya spray can. Are these acrylic or lacquer?

Also, I have tried using clear coat but after I spray it, it makes the car matt instead of shiny. The clear coat I used is Mr Color Clear Coat Super Glossy. Is there a certain technique in spraying clear coat? Please advice. TIA

Add your comment to this topic!