Crankshaft Position Sensor

dwhisent
03-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I have a check engine light showing, but I don't seem to be experiencing problems from anything... but a mechanic read the codes and said it pointed to a camshaft or crankshaft postion sensor. I think I've mentioned this on the board before, but the light came on after the A/C compressor clutch flew apart and bounced around the engine compartment before vanishing out onto the highway. :)

Anyway, I just took a quick look while checking something else, and I can see what I think might be a sensor - looks like a post (no wires or connector) sticking out immediately above the oil pan on the front (passenger side) of the engine. I was wondering if this is the crankshaft position sensor? If so, then an additional question might be where the wires and connector attach back to the other end, because I didn't see any hanging loose. If I know where they are supposed to come from, maybe I can trace back the other way.

If that isn't a sensor, where would I look to find it?

Thanks.

Mickey#1
03-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Crankshaft position sensor is behind the harmonic balancer. Engine wouldn't run if it was disconnected. A picture would help someone identify what you found.

HotZ28
03-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Hello & welcome back! The "post" you see above the oil pan, is it located on the oil filter side? This could be the oil pressure sending unit. It should have a wiring harness connected to it. Do you have an oil pressure gage and does it work?

dwhisent
03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. The post is on the oil filter side, but I do have an oil pressure gauge and it's reading OK. I'll try to do as suggested and get a pic. It's located between the harmonic balancer and the A/C compressor, and goes into the block just immediately above the oil pan. Oh yeah, I forgot to post it, but it's a 92 PA.

Add your comment to this topic!