Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Grand Am Strange Electrical Problem

racenitro
03-25-2007, 02:16 PM
When the key is turned to the on position, it may take a while for the display bulbs to al light...sometimes they don't for an extended period of time. Soemtimes when the car is strted the same thing happens. Car will run but accessories such as raido will not play. NO CODES NO PENDING CODES.

Cannot find any indication in any trouble shooting guides as to what is the problem.

xeroinfinity
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
No need to post your questions twice, someone will get to them asap.

With the dash I already answerd that in your other post.

These radios are know to have scrambled displays or the back light to burn out.

I think thier was a post for that but its pretty easy to change the bulb, which is available at your local stealership for about $8.

- Pop off the radio bezel with a screwdriver or panel tool.
- Remove the stereo, 3-4 5.5 or 7mm screws holding it in.
- Pull out the stereo unplug it, right behind the display you will see a plastic base of the bulb.
- Unscrew, reinsert new bulb and wallauh you have your display back :D
- Light bulb GM #16208443
Here is a pic of the bulb, might have a different color base.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/SeCond%20Hand/Gmradiobulb.jpg

Also here is a post I had put together with some other interior parts.
Working on geting some more procedures up in the near future . :grinyes:

Disassembly of your 99+ N-Body Interior (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=625171)

Hope that helps!

racenitro
03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Have not posted this before and your answer does not address the problem I am having. The problem is a DELAY from the time the key is turned on and ALL the various indicator lights light before starting. ALL THE INDICATOR LIGHTS ARE ACTIVATED SO YOU CAN TELL IF ANY BULBS ARE BURNED OUT. I only mentioned the radio because it is obvious sometimes that there is a delay as the car will start and 15 to 30 seconds later, the radio will finally start to work. Sometimes the lights will not display at all. The car seems to work properly and there are NO CODES.

xeroinfinity
03-27-2007, 07:10 AM
electrical gremlins are sometimes hard to track down.

And it does sound like you have one.
Thiers a bunch of stuff that could be causing the delay.

Start pulling fuses, look for loose connections.
These models are also prone to have leaks that flood the fuse boxes in the cabin area, also the floors.

Good Hunting.

racenitro
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Is there a relay that activates all of the dash displays before start up? If there is, I have a feeling that is needs replacing.
Thanks

xeroinfinity
03-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I dont think thiers any relays,
but thier is several fuses in all 3 fuse boxes.

Best bet is to look inside each fuse box and look through the list(s) and see if a relay that corisponds to the cluster.
They do vary on the newest GA's, pretty sure changes were made.

it just could be a flaky cluster too. I've heard a few people having troubles with the 00-01 GA.

liljyuggie
05-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I dont think thiers any relays,
but thier is several fuses in all 3 fuse boxes.

Best bet is to look inside each fuse box and look through the list(s) and see if a relay that corisponds to the cluster.
They do vary on the newest GA's, pretty sure changes were made.

it just could be a flaky cluster too. I've heard a few people having troubles with the 00-01 GA.
Yes, there are relays under the hood. It could have a short in it or sometimes if you have extra amps or to high or low of a fuse it could cause problems. I hope it is something simple. Good luck

xeroinfinity
05-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Yes, there are relays under the hood. It could have a short in it or sometimes if you have extra amps or to high or low of a fuse it could cause problems. I hope it is something simple. Good luck

Please QUIT bumping up threads that are coverd !!!
The BCM is what controls lighting, get it checked out :p

big ron 313
10-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I am having same problem on an 03 GA.. car starts fine and drives fine but a/c,power windows,radio,instrument cluster won't come on until it gets ready to...any ideas??? Headlights and wipers work fine also...cluster even lights up with headlights on but gauges and warning lights dont work

xeroinfinity
10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Welcome to AF big ron 313!

As with the previous OP's problem, I'd say this is probly an ignition switch problem.

try wiggling the key in the "ON" position and see if that dont help.
You can test the ign switch, here is a link.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=715987

Hope that helps!

Add your comment to this topic!