Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P0449 Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid

JanDee
03-25-2007, 12:11 PM
It appears that the Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid is bad on our 2000 Montana. The Check Engine light comes on and stays on. The reader returns codes P0440 and P0449. If we clear the code, the light comes back on and stays on. Is there a 'generic' solenoid that we can buy from our local NAPA store? If so, what is the part number. We'd prefer to buy from our local store than the (unfriendly) dealer.

Thanks,
Jan

maxwedge
03-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Welcome to AF. Get a GM part.

rattical68
03-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Though GM parts are suppose to be the answer,Aftermarket parts work well also.The #1 company that supply's GM with most emision parts is BWD (Borg Warner) and Bosch.Almost 80 to 90 percent of emission parts on all cars/trucks today are made by them.

P.S Napa is very high priced, Try O'reilly auto parts or Advance auto.
O'reilly carry's both BWD and Bosch.

GregA
03-25-2007, 06:39 PM
If it was me, I would do a bit of troubleshooting BEFORE replacing parts.

This would be especially true for the P0449, which is a code for solenoid CONTROL CIRCUIT. You could just have a loose or broken wire or connector.

Just a thought.

Take Care,

JanDee
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know what the real problem was. Here is my husband's description of solution to problem. Everyone was real helpful in this forum.

The code showed a problem with the Evaporative Emission Canister Vent
Solenoid Valve. Removed the canister (under the driver's seat), tested the
SV, it was OK. Tested the harness between the SV and the large bulkhead
connector that's about under the passenger's seat behind the driver and
found one wire to be Open. Note, this testing should be done with a test
light or something OTHER than a voltmeter. Pulled the wires out of the split
plastic sheath and found that one had had the insulation nicked and the wire
corroded in two. Spliced 'er back together, reset the code, and all was
well.

I can't imagine that this problem would appear in any other vehicle, as it
is most probably a one-time thing. The wire could even have gotten a minor
nick at the wire manufacturer's, before reaching Delphi or whoever. The
plastic sheath was not damaged in any way.

While under the car, I removed several largish stones from between the
straps and the plastic fuel tank.

Thanks,
jan

arlonadkinson
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Check engine P codes! Chevrolet uses an EVAP solenoid that is located under most vehicles near the gas tank and connects to the charcoal filter can. Codes can be set and will drive you crazy trying to figure out if you have a bad gas cap, broke lines---this is where they try to get you to do a smoke test, or you just think the vehicle is no good! Relax, it is usually an easy fix and one Chevrolet has known about for years but continues to make easy money off people who cannot do basic maintenance. Now one code that comes up is usually P0449, along with maybe a warning to check the gas cap to see if it is on tight! Chevrolet will gladly read this code out for you for around $98.00 and then fix it for another around $100.00 which includes the EVAP part which if you buy at their parts dept. will cost you $32.00 and my dealership parts man told me they sell one a day! It is easy money for them and obviously a defective part they keep using for the last 10 or 15 years but hey, its money in their pocket. Here is how to fix it with ONE single common screwdriver! Get under the vehicle after putting on the parking brake and if you a little hefty, then removing the spare tire on the Chevrolet Avalanche will give you lots more room. The EVAP solenoid is easy to spot near the gas tank and it has one electric connector which disconnects by releasing the plastic clip and pulling the connector out. It also has ONE air line connected which goes to the charcoal cannister which also can be removed with the one screwdriver. The whole EVAP solenoid and air can can be removed with the screwdriver which makes it easier to unpolug the electric and air line. Get a replacement from the dealer as they certainly are familar with this part as they sell LOTS of them. Then just go under and plug the new one in and the problem is solved. Now if you do not have a tool to reset the codes, try the local parts places as most of them will do a reset for you, especially my favorite place, called Pepboys! If you do not have someone to do it, it can be done simply be removing the RED, positive lead off the battery and wait a minute and then plug it back in! The codes are reset but of course now you have to reset the radio and clock stuff! Chevrolet put this unit under the vehicle I guess so it could collect enough dust to fail after the initial 36 month, 36,000 mile warrenty! Course the new part is guaranteed for ONE year so keep all the old parts in case you have another failure in ONE year and you can exchange them for another new one! Not to bad to have a spare! They should have recalled and replaced this unit years ago but who is gonna make them? They make money out of this little defective unit and still have no idea why they went into chapter 11 bankruptcy and are headed for chapter 7 if they fail to get connected to their customers and quality! This one little item is enough for a person like me who bought this 2005 Avalanche Z71 and who thinks it is a great truck to NEVER ever again buy a GM product!

arlonadkinson
07-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Check engine P codes! Chevrolet uses an EVAP solenoid that is located under most vehicles near the gas tank and connects to the charcoal filter can. All this switch does is open when the key is turned on and allows air to exhaust out of the charcoal canister! Codes can be set and will drive you crazy trying to figure out if you have a bad gas cap, broke lines---this is where they try to get you to do a smoke test, or you just think the vehicle is no good! Relax, it is usually an easy fix and one Chevrolet has known about for years, but continues to make easy money off of people who cannot do basic maintenance. Now one code that comes up is usually P0449, along with maybe a warning to check the gas cap to see if it is on tight! Chevrolet will gladly read this code out for you for around $98.00 and then fix it for another around $100.00 which includes the EVAP part which if you buy at their parts dept. will cost you $32.00 and my dealership parts man told me they sell one a day! It is easy money for them and obviously a defective part they keep using for the last 10 or 15 years but hey, its money in their pocket. Here is how to fix it with ONE single common screwdriver! Get under the vehicle after putting on the parking brake and if you a little hefty, then removing the spare tire on the Chevrolet Avalanche will give you lots more room. The EVAP solenoid is easy to spot near the gas tank and charcoal canister and it has one electric connector which disconnects by releasing the plastic clip and pulling the connector out. It also has ONE air line connected which goes to the charcoal canister which also can be removed with the one screwdriver. The whole EVAP solenoid and air can, is easy to remove with the screwdriver which makes it easier to unplug the electric and air line. Get a replacement from the dealer as they certainly are familiar with this part as they sell LOTS of them. Then just go under and plug the new one in and the problem is solved. Now if you do not have a tool to reset the codes, try the local parts places as most of them will do a reset for you, especially my favorite place, called Pepboys or Aamco! If you do not have someone to do it, it can be done simply be removing the RED, positive lead off the battery and wait a minute and then plug it back in! Now some people say to unplug the black lead but when I did this on the Avalanche the heater on the passenger side would not go to cool but after about 5 off and ons of the ac it finally did! When I unplugged the red lead it worked ok. Make sure before you unplug the battery cable, you turn off everything you can like radio, air, heat, lights, ect.! The codes are reset but of course now you have to reset the radio and clock stuff! Chevrolet put this unit under the vehicle I guess so it could collect enough dust to fail after the initial 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty! Course the new part is guaranteed for ONE year so keep all the old parts in case you have another failure in ONE year and you can exchange them for another new one! Not too bad to have a spare! They should have recalled and replaced this unit years ago but who is gonna make them? They make money out of this little defective unit and still have no idea why they went into chapter 11 bankruptcy and are headed for chapter 7 if they fail to get connected to their customers and quality! This one little item is enough for a person like me who bought this 2005 Avalanche Z71 and who thinks it is a great truck to NEVER ever again buy a GM product! Another peeve I got with GM is they do not match the spare tire with the tires on the truck! I have really good Goodyear tires on the ground but after 4 years and my first flat, I take down the spare and it is a 16 inch instead of a 17 inch and it is a Bridgestone! GM just does not get QUALITY! This info brought to you by arlonadkinson@yahoo.com!

Add your comment to this topic!