1997 Honda Accord Special Edition

Jackie1977
03-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I purchased my 97 Honda Accord two months ago and now my check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and all they could tell me is that theirs an Emissions issue code: P1491. I looked up the definition of that code and it seems like it's something minor: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Insufficient Lift. Does that mean their is a clog somewhere in the exhaust? I guess I'll be taking it to a Dealership on Monday, which will most likely charge me an arm and a leg.. lol

jeffcoslacker
03-25-2007, 06:12 AM
The EGR is a valve that allows exhaust to be admitted into the intake under certain conditions to help inhibit NOx formation in the combustion process. It consists of two passages, one from the exhaust, and one to the intake, metered by a metal plunger-type valve, which is operated either by vacuum or electrically, ('97 should be electric).

The electric ones have feedback control, that is the car's ECM gets a reading of the amount of valve opening by reading a variable resistance signal that changes with amount of valve opening, so the ECM can precisely meter the amount of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) it is providing.

So your ECM is seeing that when it commands a certain amount of EGR opening, it's not getting it. This could be from a dirty valve that's sticking and can't fully open, or a bad actuator, in which case the EGR valve will have to be replaced.

Most likely they will replace it at the dealer, they rarely clean and re-install an older part. Slight chance it could be a wiring problem or a faulty position sensor. I don't think the position sensor can be changed, pretty sure it's an unserviceable part of the EGR itself.

If they do a diagnostic and end up replacing it, I'd expect a bill of at least $250 or so...

ironman85
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
If they do a diagnostic and end up replacing it, I'd expect a bill of at least $250 or so...

definately more. about $100 for the diagnostic. then $100+ for dealer EGR. then labor...only like 10 minutes depending where its mounted on a '97.

u can try cleaning your EGR. unplug and unbolt it, then clean it's port and the port on the exhaust really well with carb cleaner. that might fix it for a while, might not.

and i just want to say. those autozone guys were being lazy. i work for autozone too. we know what that code means, and the fact that they didn't tell u, u needed to clean/replace your EGR means they are VERY new to cars, or were being lazy. the OBDII reader should have given a discription of the code, and if they used a simpler model that only displayed the code number, then they could have put "P1491" into the comp and did a cross reference, or used the diagnostic book that all our stores have to look up the code.

so from all the hard workers at AutoZOne.....i'm sorry they were slackers

Add your comment to this topic!