Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Camaro Quad drivers

shoeboy57
03-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi, I own a 95 Camaro, 3.4L, auto, base coupe, Scanned with an Actron 9190, System Passed, No error codes, Car runs fine, have not had any drivability problems, BUT, in the scanner printout it shows:quad driver 1 Bad
quad driver 2 OK
quad driver 3 OK
quad driver 4 Bad
As I said, car runs fine, Idles tiny bit rough, barly noticable, If I had only looked at the error codes (none) I would never have noticed the info about the quad drivers, What Im trying to say is, I dont see any symptoms, if 1 & 4 quad drivers are bad, what do they control & how can I check, I do not want to replace the PCM without finding out what is causing this in the first place.
I am by no stretch of the imagination skilled in automotive electrical systems, so ANY help & info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Blue Bowtie
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I'd verify the diagnosis with a different scanner. I'm not sure if the Actron device is capable of full bi-directional communication with the OBD-1½ PCMs. A Matco Determinator, Snap-On MT2500, or GM Tech II would verify that diagnosis. Not all vehicles use all the driver outputs, and a scanner in a generic mode may not be able to differentiate high output voltage at a driver due to a failed output or an unused output. Since the SES is not on, I'd suspect the PCM programming knows that it should not display that error, yet the scanner detects it in a generic serial communication string.

shoeboy57
03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info, I will rescan with a different scanner & see what I come up with, I just bought the Actron 9190, is it a decent scanner for the DIYer ? I am not a mechanic, Im a shoemaker and leathercrafter, I fix what I can on my car(s), brakes, fuel & brake lines, alternator whatever I can, which is quite a bit as long as I can figure out whats wrong, Is this scanner good enough for my purposes ?
Thanks Again
Jim

Blue Bowtie
03-25-2007, 03:16 PM
The scanner is probably a decent piece of equipment. The problem is that while it may be fully OBD-II compatible, the 1994-95 Ms were not. Almost no vehicles were fully OBD-II until 1996, and GM went halfway with a lot of their vehicles in the 1994-95 model years. A lot of scanners that are OBD-II do not work well with these years, even if the connector is the same and they can apparently communicate. The protocol for communication was the same as later years, but many of the code definitions were not the same.

Add your comment to this topic!