Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can someone please help???

integra818
10-09-2002, 10:02 PM
I really wan't to know how to make front buper molds from styrene sheets but no-one tells me how to,can someone please teach me how to do it,please, I really wan't to learn ,Cosmo made a buper on his f&f supra and i wan't to learn how to do it's somone please tell me :( :( :(

COZMO6476
10-09-2002, 10:42 PM
hi there...
i think the best way to tackle it is to get a really good idea of what you want to build either from reference pics of the bumper you want to build or from your own creative drawings. conceptualize how you can translate that image into plastic sheets and putty. maybe doing a couple of sketches on paper first. i just did the supra the hard way by using all putty but im sure that the job would have been much easier if i used plastic stock for most of the frame. what more can i say? you'll have to experiment a little too. practice makes perfect. if you have anymore specific questions, ask away. there are lots of people working on modifying their models on the site that can share their insights. good luck and happy modelling

Rob

integra818
10-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Is styrene sheet newbie friendly?how thick should I buy,I don't wan't to do outrageous body kits,just a couple of nice bumpers ive seen in magazines,thanks for your advice Cozmo,No one has acctually told me how to do it and i appreciate it,Thanks :)

the car I wanna build is the veilside rsx/integra or a veilside r-34,the one that competed in option2's tip speed challenge,the bumpers don't look too difficult,I'm gonna go buy alot of styrene sheets tommarow and expirement.

How long did it take you to learn how to mold bumpers nicley?first try?second try?

p.s are you finished with the supra?

COZMO6476
10-09-2002, 11:26 PM
the supra is the first thing ive tried to modify. its not finished but its coming along... i just started graduate school this sept. so as you can imagine, most of the modeling is on the back burner. i still fiddle with things from time to time but not as often as i would like.
just FYI, there are sets of evergreen scale model plastic sheets that come in 3 different thicknesses. i would suggest getting that to start with so you can get a feel for what thickness you want to use. Also, if you could post some pics of the kits you want to emulate in plastic, it would be easier for me and others to help you strategize. the reason why my first post was so ambiguous was because i had no idea what kind of kit you were planning on building.

integra818
10-09-2002, 11:33 PM
I would like to do a mugen front bumper on a crx,but I really wanna do the veilside r-34,I'm looking pictures of the veilside r-34 right now and thinking of how I can make it,I guess I have to buy the styrene sheets and start expierementing.

If the supra is the first thing you've tries to modify and it came out looking that good,then I don't think I'll have too much trouble with the styrene and putty.

kelvinblade
11-01-2002, 10:25 AM
i'm trying to figure out how to use styrene sheets to make bumper too.
can u post some posts of your progress?

Jarrod Li
11-01-2002, 11:51 AM
If you are just starting out I'd suggest that you experiment with a spoiler or something that is fairly straight and avoid compound curves like the plague until you get the hang of it. That way you will be using a minimal amount of putty on your first attempt but will still be getting good experience in using both the putty and the styrene sheets.

Even in 1:1 body work compound curves are the hardest thing to do.

**For those of you who don't know, a compound curve is when one surface is curving in 2 different directions. Like the top of the door on this Jag:
http://www.hlj.com/images/aos/aos15490box.gif

The top of the door is curving up on the front and back and at the same time the top and bottom of the door are curving towards the other side of the car.

lotus_man
11-01-2002, 01:01 PM
As a thought on compound and more complex shapes, how about vac-forming over a wooden buck. I used to do it years back when I had access to an industial vac-former... but I've seen DIY vac-form machine pland on the net. Anyone tried it?

hirofkd
11-02-2002, 09:15 AM
While the project is kinda stalled due to ill shaped body, vacuum forming is pretty much how I do to create a complex surface.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~xr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ferrari/333sp/333sp01.htm

srlxy
11-02-2002, 09:39 AM
<<<DUH>>>
How DID you Vaccum form it!!??
Man, You guys really have all the nice tools...
Not like in Singapore where everything is really limited...
Look at the $$$ of cars and you will noe...

Forhod
11-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Geez, luckily I am still on my secondary days and I have D&T ( Design & Technology ) :p

Might try out the vacuum method since my school has it... :x

srlxy
11-02-2002, 10:12 AM
hahaha
Wait later your teacher catches you doing it then....
Hey, help me take some arcylic okok??
want to do a display set hahah
just joking...

Forhod
11-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Geez, that's consider stealing ;)
Of course before I use the machine.. I will ask permission :)

Add your comment to this topic!