Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Passport Surging,stalling,runs rough

Budwerd
03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
My Passport has had this problem now for 2 years and been in the shop 4 times, this last time it cost 2200.00 in repairs, and today(two days later)the vehicle is having the same problem. The car starts and runs cold fine(most of the time) but after warming up the car stutters and surges, sometimes completely stalling when stopping or backing up. In park the car idle will sometimes jump or bounce between 100 to 400 rpm. Also when I put the car into reverse the rpm will surge to 1000. Currently no CEL, but before we took it to the dealer, the CEL was on. During this last service the following was done:replaced MAF sensor and meter asm;(cost 277.88) replace EGR valve and gasket;(cost 281.16)oil and filter;(cost 29.25)Timing belt and tentioner;(cost 449.95)intake manifold gasket;(cost 260.74)EGR flush;(cost 139.95)BG induction service;(cost 129.95) Fuel filter and PCV valve replaced;(cost 120.00)Brake pads and water pump replaced;(cost 282.00) Total bill 2194.41!! The car has 99,000 miles on it. It's 6cyl 3.2ltr 4x4. Help please!!

Ramblin Fever
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
You are being ripped off BIG TIME! My suggestion, find a different mechanic, and/or invest in a Haynes repair manual.

EGR valve/gasket 9 times out of 10 simply needs cleaned, NOT replaced. EGR flush could've been done with a $2 can of intake cleaner and 30 minutes of your time. And, I hope your mechanic replaced your waterpump at the same time as the timing belt.

amigo-2k
03-22-2007, 10:52 PM
It sounds like a classic case of a bad intake manifold gasket. i've had mine replaced twice under warranty (at 55k and then again at 75k).

I would have them leak check the gasket with carb cleaner (standard protocol for checking for leaks at the dealer).

Ramblin Fever
03-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to come off hastly in my 1st post; my 2nd job beckoned me to provide veterinary assistance for a yellow lab down the street, neighbors were concerned he has indigestion from playing in the outside trash-can. I got the call as I was posting.

After re-reading your post, I do see where your waterpump was replaced; good.

My thoughts, yes, I agree with Amigo - sounds like intake manifold gasket.

Take my advice though, when I say you could learn to do a few of these items yourself, and save a LOT of money.

trooperbc
03-22-2007, 11:57 PM
...assistance for a yellow lab down the street, neighbors were concerned he has indigestion from playing in the outside trash-can.

OT: i hope it's not the dog food....

//bc

trooperbc
03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
i'm surprised that amigo-2k didn't give you the link to his FAQ section on this problem
http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq5

see if the stuff there rings a bell with you.

the problem with what the dealer is doing is, of course, that they are just throwing parts at a problem hoping *something* will work. that's what an amateur does more often than not. you should, imo, hold their feet to the fire, going above them to the honda district service rep: you should expect that a recommended service to fix a specific problem is successful, otherwise you should *not* be expected to pay for their ineptness.

your list is a classic of a letstrythis approach. send that list to honda. its horrendous.

if you decide to get some manuals i would suggest you bite the bullet and get the factory manuals from www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) the honda versions are actually better, imo, than the isuzu manuals they are mostly based on. (you might want to ask the dealer whether you can order a set for them at the same time ;)

//bc

Gizmo42
03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
I agree with Amigo-2k it sounds like the intake manifold gasket. They probably over torqued it when they replaced it before. The torque values have been changed a couple time to try and prevent new ones from cracking.

Ramblin Fever
03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
OT: i hope it's not the dog food....
//bc

That's actually the 1st thing I thought of as I do know they feed Iams, dry food; but they said they don't feed him any canned food. Either way he didn't/doesn't look good, keeping a close eye on him tonight/tomorrow.

I install cabinets by day; wanta-be vet ever since I was a kid - everyone in the family/up & down the streets call upon me. Must have something to do with the local fox I brought back from the living dead :wink: - thank goodness he didn't consume my 3 fur-balls while he was here.

Thank goodness 2 people at work heeded to my warnings when I found out they had been feeding some of that tainted food - their pets are ok, after couple hundred dollars in bloodwork.

Then people wonder why we cook for our dogs.

Sorry to steal the thread.

dfr4444
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Agree with Ryan..intake manifold gasket

topazmoon3
03-28-2007, 04:39 PM
My Passport has had this problem now for 2 years and been in the shop 4 times, this last time it cost 2200.00 in repairs, and today(two days later)the vehicle is having the same problem. The car starts and runs cold fine(most of the time) but after warming up the car stutters and surges, sometimes completely stalling when stopping or backing up. In park the car idle will sometimes jump or bounce between 100 to 400 rpm. Also when I put the car into reverse the rpm will surge to 1000. Currently no CEL, but before we took it to the dealer, the CEL was on. During this last service the following was done:replaced MAF sensor and meter asm;(cost 277.88) replace EGR valve and gasket;(cost 281.16)oil and filter;(cost 29.25)Timing belt and tentioner;(cost 449.95)intake manifold gasket;(cost 260.74)EGR flush;(cost 139.95)BG induction service;(cost 129.95) Fuel filter and PCV valve replaced;(cost 120.00)Brake pads and water pump replaced;(cost 282.00) Total bill 2194.41!! The car has 99,000 miles on it. It's 6cyl 3.2ltr 4x4. Help please!!
Hey, I have this problem with my 98 Isuzu rodeo. It bucks and stalls and surges and all different times, and idles with the "bounce" in rpms alot of the time...if it is not stalling. Does anyone seem to think it could be the computer (PCM)? Currently I am getting one of those and the dealer said that is what I needed. I am hoping my hubby can install it. I am also hoping mine isnt the intake manifold?? Can anyone here give me some info on this/ Thanks

mapua82
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
My IMG experience:
At highway speed, no problem, you won't notice it.
At city driving, the truck would surge at full stop, sometimes will stall.
It will start immediately no problem, as if nothing happened.

Brought it at Belleville, NJ Isuzu dealer and diagnosed as IMG,
tech said he can hear the vacuum leak. I can't.
I replace the IMG using the pry method with the help from my wife.
So far so good, cost me only the price of gasket.

Add your comment to this topic!