Decanting spray paint for airbrushing

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Since A/F is embedding photos into the threads; this will be my final post on A/F until they quit doing that:shakehead

Don't buy anything from the advertiser whose ad is embedded into my post. Firefox users don't see them. IE users do.

Recently someone turned me onto the simplest solution I've heard of yet to decant spray paint. It costs nearly nothing, it does not make a mess, and no tools beyond a pair of scissors or your X Acto knife are needed. No need to go the hardware store or clean up a disaster. Captions below photos.

http://images21.fotki.com/v632/photos/1/10258/4747331/Untitled1-vi.jpg
Ingredients:
Spray Can
Length of drinking straw
Small piece of Fun Tack (poster tack)
Suitable container

http://images22.fotki.com/v757/photos/1/10258/4747331/Untitled2-vi.jpg
Make an O-ring from the fun tack and surround the nozzle with it.

http://images21.fotki.com/v756/photos/1/10258/4747331/Untitled3-vi.jpg
Attach the straw to the fun-tack O-ring, adjust as necessary to make a good seal.

http://images22.fotki.com/v754/photos/1/10258/4747331/Untitled4-vi.jpg
Simply spray the paint into a container. The paint mostly runs into the container, splashing/mess is almost non-existant. Remove straw & fun tack, wipe nozzle clean, and the spray can is able to be used again. No need to poke holes into a spray can!

http://images21.fotki.com/v755/photos/1/10258/4747331/Untitled5-vi.jpg
Fun tack removed, nozzle wiped clean w/a paper towel. Fast, clean, easy; spray can is still usable. Decanted paint is ready to run through an airbrush. Let decanted paint sit open before covering the container, unless you immediately spray it through an airbrush. The propellant from the decanted paint is still there, if you cover the container it will pressurize and make a mess when you open it later. I have had zero problems w/immediately spraying the decanted paint through my airbrush, the propellant atomizes completely before hitting the model's surface.

This is one of my all-time favorite KISS methods.

tonioseven
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Cool!! I need to practice with my airbrush and this will help!!:sunglasse

freakmech
03-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Bob,

Every time someone tells me they arent using Firefox im in disbelief. I dont understand why anybody would use IE for regular web browsing unless they simply like popups, spyware, spam, and most of all, viruses. My virus scan software has become virtually useless since using Firefox almost 4 years ago. My spyware only warns me every now and again but its usually when im on a site that requires popup, such as streaming radio. Firefox is FREE, use it and rid yourself of all this online crap.... please. Most every virus is written to attack a MS based product, so get rid of the unneeded ones. I have my OS XP, Notepad, IE as a back up when ness. and thats it. Sorry but i cant believe someone would stop using a site because of software issues when its free and easy to fix it. Unless of course this is a computer at work or your on dial up, other wise there is NO reason not to run Firefox as your default web browser. RROOAAARRR!
Sorry Bob, hate to see you go for such an easily remedied problem.

Chad

klutz_100
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Bob, I'm viewing your post with FireFox 2.0 and today for the first time ever I am seeing embedded ads on AF - bummer :(

I also decant Tamiya cans that way. McDonald's straws fit nice and tight so I don't even need the blue tack ;-)

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Bob,

Every time someone tells me they arent using Firefox im in disbelief. I dont understand why anybody would use IE for regular web browsing unless they simply like popups, spyware, spam, and most of all, viruses. My virus scan software has become virtually useless since using Firefox almost 4 years ago. My spyware only warns me every now and again but its usually when im on a site that requires popup, such as streaming radio. Firefox is FREE, use it and rid yourself of all this online crap.... please. Most every virus is written to attack a MS based product, so get rid of the unneeded ones. I have my OS XP, Notepad, IE as a back up when ness. and thats it. Sorry but i cant believe someone would stop using a site because of software issues when its free and easy to fix it. Unless of course this is a computer at work or your on dial up, other wise there is NO reason not to run Firefox as your default web browser. RROOAAARRR!
Sorry Bob, hate to see you go for such an easily remedied problem.

Chad

Point taken; I will be using FF (new laptop that I need to get to work w/my cable modem and wireless router) but the point is that A/F is exploiting IE and some FF users (Klutz_100 has FF and is seeing ads). I use Fotki and they don't have an interface for FF to upload batches of pics, so IE is still necessary in that case. I don't dispute anything you say, it just sucks ass that this place we love is being spammed by the owners for a buck. The advertising that's here already in the headers/footers should more than pay the bills, I'm certainly not going to pay A/F for a premium membership to not see the embedded ads, especially when there are free ways around the problem (such as later versions of FF). Using FF is just one remedy to what is an unnecessary problem. I complained about this the last time it happened, and it quickly went away. I don't know why they've gone back to it. Guess that Skyline is eating up too much money :shakehead

freakmech
03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Point taken Bob,

I do agree with you on some points. For instance, its kind of ironic that when we lost our AF galleries, it was about the same time we first started seeing ads. You would think that if Igor is making money off of ads then we shouldnt be losing user features. We should be gaining them. FF isnt the answer to everything but honestly ive rarely come across any interference since switching over but it isnt perfect. We lose AF Gallery but we gain free Photobucket access. I guess its like any other industry, money driven. Especially when your trying to finance a race car:icon16: I am punk rock in many ways and a boycott does make change but i would just hate to see you leave this forum. One of the few quality users still around. Hell, i rarely even post anymore, but i still lurk for good advice, yes, the search function does work.:wink: Though im a little annoyed with a few "cliques" around these parts. Anyhow, hey Bob, i recommend FF for all of the web, not just AF, try it, youll like it. As far as AF goes, I didnt visit here for about 8 months because they did the whole split up of "wips" thing, to many sub-categories. But I still think over all this is the highest quality site for modelling there is, active or not, becuase of people like you. I was honored to meet you last year a NNL East, like meeting a movie star, silly i know, but really. We have a bigger impact on things then you think.

Sincerely,
Chad

Point taken; I will be using FF (new laptop that I need to get to work w/my cable modem and wireless router) but the point is that A/F is exploiting IE and some FF users (Klutz_100 has FF and is seeing ads). I use Fotki and they don't have an interface for FF to upload batches of pics, so IE is still necessary in that case. I don't dispute anything you say, it just sucks ass that this place we love is being spammed by the owners for a buck. The advertising that's here already in the headers/footers should more than pay the bills, I'm certainly not going to pay A/F for a premium membership to not see the embedded ads, especially when there are free ways around the problem (such as later versions of FF). Using FF is just one remedy to what is an unnecessary problem. I complained about this the last time it happened, and it quickly went away. I don't know why they've gone back to it. Guess that Skyline is eating up too much money :shakehead

bhop73
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Firefox still shows the ad for me.. but I had to install it to check, because I use Camino http://www.caminobrowser.org/ which gives you the option of disabling ALL web ads. (even embedded ones) I didn't even know what he was talking about at first.. heh, heh..

That might be a Mac only browser though..

freakmech
03-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Actually, i just added Adblock from FF and selected the US version of Adblock and now im not even getting the Red X anymore for popups. Of cou:p rse, the ad companies will eventually find a way around this but so will Adblock. Go to FF site and look through there plug-ins. I swear i dont work for FF LOL. Lets build some fucking models already, please.:icon16:

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm familiar w/Firefox, I've used it on other computers. Don't ask me why it's not on this old machine..:shakehead :icon16:

Jay gave me a handy link when I bitched and moaned about the forum breakup. I just click on the one link he made, and it gives me a digest of all the new posts since my last visit, in the various model car forums. That way I see new stuff in all the subforums. Other boards that are only model cars have a similar "view posts since your last visit" feature that makes navigating easy.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=4107268&postcount=87

I saved that page as a favorite. I rarely go into the forums any other way.

I really enjoyed meeting you and everyone I know through the forums at the NNL East last year. We're all stars around here :sunglasse

Point taken Bob,

I do agree with you on some points. For instance, its kind of ironic that when we lost our AF galleries, it was about the same time we first started seeing ads. You would think that if Igor is making money off of ads then we shouldnt be losing user features. We should be gaining them. FF isnt the answer to everything but honestly ive rarely come across any interference since switching over but it isnt perfect. We lose AF Gallery but we gain free Photobucket access. I guess its like any other industry, money driven. Especially when your trying to finance a race car:icon16: I am punk rock in many ways and a boycott does make change but i would just hate to see you leave this forum. One of the few quality users still around. Hell, i rarely even post anymore, but i still lurk for good advice, yes, the search function does work.:wink: Though im a little annoyed with a few "cliques" around these parts. Anyhow, hey Bob, i recommend FF for all of the web, not just AF, try it, youll like it. As far as AF goes, I didnt visit here for about 8 months because they did the whole split up of "wips" thing, to many sub-categories. But I still think over all this is the highest quality site for modelling there is, active or not, becuase of people like you. I was honored to meet you last year a NNL East, like meeting a movie star, silly i know, but really. We have a bigger impact on things then you think.

Sincerely,
Chad

freakmech
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the link!

D_LaMz
03-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I still see the ad.
Also, would you have to thin the paint to use in the airbrush?

Enzoenvy1
03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
ON a side note to the embedded adds, I wish the servers could support traffic consistently. That would be more enjoyable than anything. Some forums I belong to ask for a donation or upgraded memberships for $25 a year or something. Because of that, my favorite Jeep site has brand new servers that support any and all traffic. That would make my day here.

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Also, would you have to thin the paint to use in the airbrush?

You might; depends on the paint. I usually add a few drops of Tamiya lacquer thinner (seems identical to Gunze/Mr. Hobby Mr. Color thinner) or Mr. Color Thinner when shooting Tamiya TS paints; though more by habit as the last time I shot some I didn't thin it, and it came out great.

This is a killer method of getting the last drops of paint out of a paint can! You would be amazed how much good, useable paint remains in a nearly-empty can that's not spraying too well anymore. Since I've started decanting Tamiya sprays and airbrushing them, I'm getting a LOT more mileage from the paint.

mike@af
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Please keep this thread on topic from here on out.

D_LaMz
03-22-2007, 05:53 PM
This is a killer method of getting the last drops of paint out of a paint can! You would be amazed how much good, useable paint remains in a nearly-empty can that's not spraying too well anymore. Since I've started decanting Tamiya sprays and airbrushing them, I'm getting a LOT more mileage from the paint.

Wait, how would a can with almost no pressure, going to spray if you are to decant it? (I have some empty cans around I think. :iceslolan )

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Wait, how would a can with almost no pressure, going to spray if you are to decant it? (I have some empty cans around I think. :iceslolan )

It just does, especially if you tip the can/straw upwards into the container as you spray. On Tamiya cans, if you have a nearly empty can you know it doesn't spray so good, and you get a fresh can and it sprays much better. When I've taken the dregs out of the can via the straw method, and pointing the can upwards, I get a significant amount of useable paint (filling that plastic mixing cup nearly halfway). I've done this w/silver, clear, and flat black. Cans that I would throw away are very useful now that I decant and airbrush the dregs. I painted the color coats of two entire models using about 1/4 can of airbrushed Tamiya TS paint. A quick wet coat of clear out of a fresh can is still awesome w/o the airbrush, but I'm airbrushing Tamiya TS paints 90% of the time now.

RallyRaider
03-22-2007, 09:34 PM
ON topic: I thought everybody decanted spraycans this way already? I first learnt the trick so long ago I can't remember where! Just goes to show that we can take things for granted and the best tricks are the old ones. :)

To refine the technique I'd suggest using one of those bendy straws, it takes the speed off the paint and deposits it vertically in a jar nicely. Tamiya nozzels are the perfect fit for the straws we get in these parets, so bluetack is not necessary. And make sure you follow ZoomZoom's advice to let the paint gass out, otherwise you'll be sorry.

OFF topic: Here we go pushing the limits again. :rolleyes:

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-22-2007, 09:46 PM
ON topic: I thought everybody decanted spraycans this way already? I first learnt the trick so long ago I can't remember where! Just goes to show that we can take things for granted and the best tricks are the old ones. :)

To refine the technique I'd suggest using one of those bendy straws, it takes the speed off the paint and deposits it vertically in a jar nicely. Tamiya nozzels are the perfect fit for the straws we get in these parets, so bluetack is not necessary. And make sure you follow ZoomZoom's advice to let the paint gass out, otherwise you'll be sorry.

OFF topic: Here we go pushing the limits again. :rolleyes:

My post was "inspired" by the story of a complete disaster, on another forum, about a guy (a pioneer in model kit design with way more experience than anyone here) who poked a hole into a can of paint to decant it :shakehead :lol: It was so awful it was funny. He got paint all over two cars, a bicycle, the siding on the house, his face, his glasses... :rofl:

You wouldn't believe how many guys think that to get paint out of a can requires poking holes into the pressurized container; or drilling out the nozzle to use a coffee stir-stick...basically anything that destroys the can from further use. It's as if they're hard-wired to do the exact thing that's the hardest to do.

I do use a bendy straw, but not w/the bend. I'll try that to see how it works, but even w/the short pieces I've been using splattering really isn't an issue. I used to just spray into the open container w/my arms stretched way out into my spray booth and clean up the mess after :shakehead I learned how dumb I had been when I saw the straw method described.

igor@af
03-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Sorry? :icon16:

I figured a little experiment wouldn't hurt - the new ad location effectively moved up the content itself within the page quite a bit higher.

cyberkid
03-23-2007, 05:37 AM
I do use a bendy straw, but not w/the bend. I'll try that to see how it works, but even w/the short pieces I've been using splattering really isn't an issue. I used to just spray into the open container w/my arms stretched way out into my spray booth and clean up the mess after :shakehead I learned how dumb I had been when I saw the straw method described.

Hope I'm not thread hogging with this but...
Decanting Tamiya Spraycans (http://www.scalewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Decanting_Tamiya_Spraycans) This is one of the how-to's I found on decanting way back when.
A while after reading these.. I accidentally smashed a Tamiya mixing jar and started thinking... thus making:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074161.JPG
The big hole is for the straw and the 3 little holes are to let air out.
So.. here goes.. This is how I decant.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074160.JPG
Items needed and a pair of scissors. (I use 10mm Tamiya masking tape for decanting)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074163.JPG
Cut the straw at a sharp angle.. this lets the paint drip down without getting much splatter. Cut the head to fit the nozzle of the spray can better. (I normally just cut a wide V)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074164.JPG
Assemble and spray. (Shake for 2 or more minutes prior to assembley)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074165.JPG
If I decant less than half of the mixing jar.. the cap is usually paint free.
Let it sit for a while to let it gas out. I normally use a tookpick to slowly stir it about once every ten minutes, if any bubbles rise, then it needs more time.
When it's completely gased out, I add about 1cc Tamiya lacquer thinner per 10cc's of paint.

HTH,
Steve

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-23-2007, 07:25 AM
That's awesome, it's on-topic and great info for this thread, I'll use a bent bendy straw when I decant again.

Anything to keep modelers from going after pressurized spray cans with sharp objects...:lol:

Hope I'm not thread hogging with this but...
Decanting Tamiya Spraycans (http://www.scalewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Decanting_Tamiya_Spraycans) This is one of the how-to's I found on decanting way back when.
A while after reading these.. I accidentally smashed a Tamiya mixing jar and started thinking... thus making:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074161.JPG
The big hole is for the straw and the 3 little holes are to let air out.
So.. here goes.. This is how I decant.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074160.JPG
Items needed and a pair of scissors. (I use 10mm Tamiya masking tape for decanting)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074163.JPG
Cut the straw at a sharp angle.. this lets the paint drip down without getting much splatter. Cut the head to fit the nozzle of the spray can better. (I normally just cut a wide V)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074164.JPG
Assemble and spray. (Shake for 2 or more minutes prior to assembley)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/3555/2074165.JPG
If I decant less than half of the mixing jar.. the cap is usually paint free.
Let it sit for a while to let it gas out. I normally use a tookpick to slowly stir it about once every ten minutes, if any bubbles rise, then it needs more time.
When it's completely gased out, I add about 1cc Tamiya lacquer thinner per 10cc's of paint.

HTH,
Steve

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Sorry? :icon16:

I figured a little experiment wouldn't hurt - the new ad location effectively moved up the content itself within the page quite a bit higher.

The embedded ads are gone :sunglasse

Thank you, all is forgiven :wink:

klutz_100
03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
The embedded ads are gone :sunglasse

Thank you, all is forgiven :wink:
It just goes to show that it IS worth sometimes saying out loud what you don't like - seems that members' voices can be listened to.

It's not necessary to act on everything we say, but it's a good idea to listen.

Pissed off members aren't exactly an asset ;)

Good call, Igor.

moosemarus
03-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry, I'm dense. Is decanted paint thinned enough for the airbrush or not? The second method adds thinner.

cyberkid
03-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Sorry, I'm dense. Is decanted paint thinned enough for the airbrush or not? The second method adds thinner.
Yes, its thinned enough to be AB'ed. I add thinner for 2 reasons:
A. I normally let it gas out for quite a bit, sometimes an hour or more depending on the amount of decanted paint. While gassing out, the thinner originally in the paint will evaporate some-what.
B. I like to AB with thinner paint and low air pressure. (5-15 psi normally)
It's all about personal habits, and what equipment you have. You have to fiddle about with these things until you find out what is right for you.

Steve.

Edit: I've recentely noticed that if I add a few drops (maybe 5 or 6) of thinner right after I've finished decanting, the paint doesn't really bubble at all. No bad side effects so far. (Sorry, Freakray linked to this thread and I thought I might as well add this info in.)

Didymus
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Some nearly-empty cans don't spray, they sputter, so they are usually tossed. But paint that sputters out is perfectly good for use in an airbrush.

Spray cans shoot out big clouds of paint. A great reason for decanting is that more of the paint goes onto the model instead of into the atmosphere. I never use a spray can in the house; I often use my airbrush indoors.

Ddms

Didymus
03-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Is decanted paint thinned enough for the airbrush or not?

I don't think so.

You can spray Tamiya lacquer unthinned, but I think that greatly increases your chances of getting orange peel. After the gases boil off, I add about 20% ordinary hardware-store lacquer thinner. Works just fine.

Ddms

kans0002
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Before anyone goes jumping down my throat about bumping old threads, please note that I am responding to this thread for two specific and important (in my opinion) reasons.

I stumbled upon this old thread and I have to say, it is a life saver! I was one of those guys who would play paint roulette and puncture the spray can to decant the paint. There were many times I would pray to the modeling gods that my puncturing experiment wouldn’t go to horribly awry. Thank you ZoomZoom!

I wanted to request that this be added to the “how to” depository as stated above. There is not currently a good decanting how to in there right now and I think this could really help our fellow modelers.

Thank you and apologies if this inconveniences anyone!

Stuart

Zonic2001
01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Youtube has a few videos on decanting as shown by ZoomZoom... also use a bendable straw and bend it at 90 degree. Is going to be a cleaner job. You can keep the can on the table while pressing the nozzle down.

Zonic2001
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Before anyone goes jumping down my throat about bumping old threads, please note that I am responding to this thread for two specific and important (in my opinion) reasons.

I stumbled upon this old thread and I have to say, it is a life saver! I was one of those guys who would play paint roulette and puncture the spray can to decant the paint. There were many times I would pray to the modeling gods that my puncturing experiment wouldn’t go to horribly awry. Thank you ZoomZoom!

I wanted to request that this be added to the “how to” depository as stated above. There is not currently a good decanting how to in there right now and I think this could really help our fellow modelers.

Thank you and apologies if this inconveniences anyone!

Stuart

Bad boy! LOL Hey friend, how you been? Send a PM now and then. Stay in touch!

lotus123
01-28-2011, 12:49 AM
If you're going to "pin" this thread (and I agree that it should be) then I'd like to add a couple of pointers.

Instead of struggling with drinking straws which have a habit of coming loose and making a mess, make a decanting nozzle using an old Tamiya nozzle and a piece of aluminum or brass tubing. Drill the original spray jet out of the Tamiya nozzle, then epoxy the tube into place. Make a slight bend in the tube so that you can decant into a container while holding the can upright.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/grahamr_photo/F430/Decnat.jpg

To decant cleanly I put a small piece of cling film over the cup and stick the nozzle through the film. This stops spray back. I then wait a few minutes for the paint to warm up and gas out. To clean the nozzle hold the can upside down and spray out the paint residue. Sometimes I also give it a dip in lacquer thinners.

I usually decant very small amounts directly into the airbrush cup, using only as much as I need. I believe that the paint keeps better in the sealed Tamiya can until I need it, so I don't empty the entire thing into another bottle. If I need larger quantities (or mix colours) I decant into small glass jars and place them in small tubs of hot water to gas out quicker (and flow better).

When the Tamiya can seems empty (no more gas pressure) I remove the top using cutters to extract the last of the paint (there's usually a useful bit in there, and I often get a lot of primer this way). Beware - you have to lift a small edge carefully and wait, because even a "dead can" still has some life here. After the last of the gas has gone, finish lifting the rest of the can top and pour off into a sealable container.

Hope this helps.

Jay!
02-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Added to the How-To Depository. Pardon the delay! :)

Add your comment to this topic!