Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to Reset "Change Oil Light" on 1999 Silverado

wheelterrapin
03-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Folks I took my 1999 Chevrolet 2500HD in for an old change the other day and now everytime I start the engine the message board pops up with a message "Change the Oil" and I just chaged the oil. Is there a way to reset this?

Thanks

Browning151
03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I think the procedure is turn the ignition switch on, truck not running and press the gas pedal three times quickly holding on the last one for a few secs. Turn it off and back on and it should flash a couple times next time you crank it and youre good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but its worked for me that way....

wheelterrapin
03-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks a million, I will give this a try first thing in the morning and let you know if it works.

Paul

I think the procedure is turn the ignition switch on, truck not running and press the gas pedal three times quickly holding on the last one for a few secs. Turn it off and back on and it should flash a couple times next time you crank it and youre good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but its worked for me that way....

rjeffery
03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I think my manual says to press the gas pedal 5 times. That is what I always do, but maybe it only needs 3.

wheelterrapin
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks Guys, I don't know why I did not go to my truck manual to start with, I bought the truck used and forgot I even had a manual. The manual said to turn the ignition on, press the gas pedal down three times within five seconds and then the message board should flash the Change Oil message a few times and it would be reset. It worked exactly as they said.

I appreciate the help folks.

Thanks,

Paul

Add your comment to this topic!