Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

headunit clipping?

Tonglebeak
03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, I got my pioneer premier ts-1207d4 subs today. I turned my gains back and was still able to get the same thump as I did with my old xplod subs, and they do clip less (since I'm able now to draw more power out of the amp since I'm@2ohms now instead of 4), but these damn things _still_ clip, even though they have 175% more power available. Like I said they don't clip as much as the sonys did, but damn...I can't get the volume past 40 without songs such as "chain hang low" and "what you know" clipping the amp. If I back off the volume down to say, 32, and add a 6db boost to each amp, the bass clips a lot less and hits harder...so...

My question is, can a headunit send a clipping signal? Mine is 50x4, I believe 18x4 rms. It's a JVC hu I got from walmart for a bit over 90 bucks if I recall correctly. I don't know what else it could be...maybe I should try to increase my gains? But then I'm afraid of blowing my new prized possessions :) I used to have the gains maxed out for the sonys, but now I have them turned halfway back for the premiers, so I know the power is there for the amp, so I wouldn't think it's the amp(s) itself clipping.

Two profile ha700m, 350w rms@2ohms, 200w rms@4ohms.

Thanks...

sr20de4evr
03-19-2007, 08:45 PM
A few things...
The internal amp on most headunits will start clipping around 60% volume, the preouts will generally clip at closer to 80-90%.

Half gain on the amp could still be too high

Are you sure the signal is really being clipped and it's not just the speakers mechanically distorting (they often sound very similar)?

Above all, YOU are the one making it clip (if it is indeed clipping), the amp doesn't just clip by itself, it only does what it's told. If it's clipping, it's clipping because you are asking too much from it.

PlayStation3
03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
and also do you have a o scope to see if it is indeed clipping and not the speakers/ subs

Tonglebeak
03-20-2007, 06:28 AM
No, I do not. I don't even know what you're talking about...could you explain?

sr20de4evr
03-20-2007, 08:26 AM
An oscilloscope (oscope) is a device used to visually display an analog waveform, such as the signal going to your speakers. Clipping is very easy to see on a scope, and it would tell you if what you are hearing is indeed clipping or just mechanical distortion. They're a couple hundred dollars though, very few "hobbyists" own one.

PaulD
03-20-2007, 04:39 PM
If you are trying for max SPL, clipping is a good thing ..... it lowers the peaks and increases the avewrage power.

Tonglebeak
03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
But then it sounds like crap and blows your subs out.

hotrod_chevyz
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
can a headunit send a clipping signal? Thanks...

If the H/U isnt set right or if it a big ol POS it will clip and make your amp clip. I dont think thats the problem your having.

Get a DMM and check for voltage drops at the main power wires, both the H/U and the amp. Look for any lights dimming on the H/U and amp. Are they just power starved? Whats your crossover set at?

Let those subs play for a few days before you get too crazy with them. let them soften up a bit before you do a shake down. They might start to sound a little better once they loosen up and break in.

With a good amp and H/U you should be able to keep the loudness off, and the bass down and still make some awsome sound. If the amp has a bass boost shut it off. If the stereo has a bass boost or loudless turn it off. Set the bass to -1 and see if it still has problems. Your asking too much of your amp and beating on subs that need broke in first.

PaulD
03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
But then it sounds like crap and blows your subs out.

depends on how much it is clipped .... and how much the amp is clipping.

Tonglebeak
03-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm actually starting to wonder if my trunk is resonating so badly it produces a horribly distorted sound. When I hear my trunk outside when I think the subs clip, the darn thing shakes more than a bed when two fat people screw on it.

pimprolla112
03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm actually starting to wonder if my trunk is resonating so badly it produces a horribly distorted sound. When I hear my trunk outside when I think the subs clip, the darn thing shakes more than a bed when two fat people screw on it.

LOL, id say i find that offensive but my girl isnt fat.

www.secondskinaudio.com

Go there they have solutions to your problem.

jayrod075
03-22-2007, 10:30 AM
The problem is most likely your headunit. Even if your amp is very crappy, which im not sure if it is or not, the headunit is almost all cases of clipping. Try turning the gain up more on the amp so you wont have to turn the head unit up more.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Bump anyone?
Go check my Tahoe out at http://www.brainwasheddesigns.com/kingkongcustoms/uploads/bump.jpg it is featured on King Kong Customs Custom Enclosure site.

Tonglebeak
03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I can do that if I get an amp for my speakers. Right now I have to blast the headunit to get power back to the speakers. We'll see... but I'm not sure what kind of 4-channel amp I can get for this. My 3.5"s are only 15w rms, and my pioneer premier 6x9 are 80 rms, so I have no idea what amp can handle that kind of load without blowing out my 3.5s

PaulD
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
you can turn down the channels playing the 3 1/2's

pimprolla112
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Or you switch up to a different front speakers with either a q-form or something. You would be happier with a nice 5.25 in the front over the little 3.5.

Tonglebeak
03-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Now I ask, would I be able to tell when it's running at 15w? would the speaker start to heavily distort if I push it to far, or what would some signs be that it's being pushed beyond its rms power?

bjboertje
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
voltage squared divided by resistance equals rms power. so...
15w = 7.75v^2 / 4ohms
set your gains with 7.75 volts output on your 3.5" speaker channels. and yes, you should be able to hear them distort when you overpower them.

Add your comment to this topic!