Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Truck for College

Jaxsurf
03-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I'll be going off to the University of Georgia (7 hours away) July 1, and I'm getting a brand new truck for graduation. My parents want me to get a 2007 Nissane Frontier ($21k after rebate), but I've also looked at the 2007 Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma is only about $2-3K more, but from what I hear its a better truck. What should I go for? [These prices are at the respective Nissan/Toyota dealers I went to]

I'll be using this truck to drive to school, drive home, around Athens, to the beach, occasional road trip, ect. Not too much offroad stuff and this truck has to last me for the next 5-6 years.

igbar
03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Depends on how you plan on using the truck.
College student = broke
so that means you're not going to do much modifacations to the truck....but in that respect, there are a lot more aftermarket products for the Tacoma than the Frontier, although the Frontier's aftermarket is growing.

The Frontier (4.0 v6 @ 261hp) has the most Horsepower in its class even compared to the Dodge Dakota's v8.

Seating position in a Frontier is higher (truck-like) than the Tacoma (lower, car-like)

The Tacoma sits about 1.5" higher than the Frontier

The trim in the Taco is nicer than the Frontier...or so I've heard but you'll just have to judge that for yourself.

Test drive them both and see what you like better.
I own the '05 Frontier with the 6 speed Manual tranny, v6 King Cab. I love it...it's a blast to drive. Before that, I test drove the Tacoma X-Runner...fast but wayyyy too expensive.

also, the Tacoma bed is composite whereas the Nissan's in all metal. Potential cracking problems with the Taco? I don't know.
don't forget the recent recalls by Toyota and Tundra.

Toyota dealers won't deal with the price whereas most Nissan dealers will.

good luck and check out:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/i...eferrerid=1451 (http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/index.php?referrerid=1451)

PDFFlyer
03-31-2007, 11:49 AM
I would prefer the Frontier 4WD XE or SE with the 16" Wheels, 5 or 6 speed myself. The higher ride height, and great gas mileage, ample upgrades from the same VG30 ZX Car engines. Lease if you cannot buy, keep for 3 years and buyout the lease. Prefer the metal bed with the standard Nissan plastic bedliner myself. Get the V6 not the 4 cylinder. Paul

Add your comment to this topic!