Tail Light Problem

2003TRD
03-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I just bought some aftermarket taillights and when i turn my lights ON, on the instrument cluster, the left arrow is dimly lit up and when i put my left signal on with the lights ON it doesnt work. the right signal works fine when the lights are ON. however, when the lights are OFF both turn signals work fine.
what is going on?
is it faulty wiring on the left tailight from the manufacturer?
maybe ground wires in the taillight?

EVERYTHING works fine with the stock lights in place so i have no idea what is wrong?

Flash75
03-19-2007, 05:47 AM
If the lights were OK before changing to the aftermarket lights the new lights are defective or they aren't designed to be compatible with a Toyota. Have you compared each bulb and their function in the new lights with the original lights? Most import vehicles have seperate signal and stop light bulbs, many US made cars combine the the stop and signal lights into a single bulb.

Clifton

2003TRD
03-19-2007, 07:12 AM
they are altezza lights made for my exact 03 tacoma. i got all the bulbs and everything that are supposed to go with it. the right one works fine but i read on another post that the ground wires are sometimes switched around within the lights themselves could that be the problem?

Flash75
03-20-2007, 05:32 AM
There is a 03 Toyota shop manual with wiring diagrams in the top section of this forum. Even though they were made for the Toyota there is no guarantee the parts will work on your vehicle. There are tons of aftermarket parts out there that will not perform as they are supposed to. Yes the ground could be the problem. Be careful and verify with the wiring diagram before making any changes, otherwise you can burn up your wiring harness. If it were my vehicle I would replace the OE lights and get a refund for the old lights. If you got them off eBay you are probably SOL. I know the OE lights may not have the look you want but they work. My 2 cents.

Clifton

2003TRD
03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
i did get them off ebay ugh before i just screw them and throw them away do you think i could take them to somewhere like auto zone and see if they can install them or find the exact problem or would they not do something like that?

Flash75
03-21-2007, 04:56 AM
I don't think Autozone will install parts they don't sell and they wouldn't have wiring diagrams for your truck. If you are going to have someone try them I would go to a garage that does electrical work, perhaps they can help. Get an estimate before having them chase the problem, labor for trouble shooting can run up quickly. Good luck.

Clifton

2003TRD
03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
ok since i bought the light from a company on ebay, they have a refund form and i filled it out. hopefully i will get a refund, and not an exchange for the same light!

where is the best place to get a new oe light or just the outside lense? thanks for all your help-

Flash75
03-22-2007, 04:16 AM
I don't know where you are but usually a salvage yard. It wouldn't be new.
The other choice is some of the online Toyota parts sellers, some offer a discount. I've not had to by any parts for my Toyota so I don't have a specific reference.

Clifton

Lido Bulanadi
03-22-2007, 11:19 PM
my 2006 tacoma just lost all parking and tail lites brakes works and so as signal and hazard. also i notce that the instrument where the a/c control are out too.Any clue or where can I get the electrical diagram?

2003TRD
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
chek fuses 1st

southtown2003
06-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I am having this same problem.. I have a 2002 toyota tacoma.. and when i installed the tail lights i have the same problem with my signals not working right too. Also when i turn my lights on.. all of my lights in the back turn on.. Have you found out anything about how to fix this problem?

Add your comment to this topic!