Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Busted CV join :( plz help

RightWingZionist
03-18-2007, 02:59 AM
I was pulling out my car in the icy snow in queens,ny and I heard a crack and some smoke from the left tire. Both Tires stopped spinning and the noise is like a rattle noise, same when it's in park. It's coming form the left side only. Is it because of a slip differential there is zero power to the right tire?

Anyways I really need some advice on towing and pricing. How much should I pay to tow to a mechanic and how much should I pay including labor?
Pricing on Aftermarket or OEM Honda? any experiences on either?

I greatly appreciate any help.
Oh it's a 1995 Honda Accord EX-V6, 121K miles.

RightWingZionist
03-19-2007, 09:07 PM
The mechanic told me it is probably the axle, and he said a rebuilt with labor is $220 unless the boot is brocken or something which is $100 more.
Any advice?

jeffcoslacker
03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
A halfshaft CV axle for that car should only be about $85 or so if you buy it from a parts store, and it's easy to do, depending on your level of handiness...takes an hour if you know what you're doing, maybe 2-3 if not...

Anyhow, for a shop, his price is not bad at all...

mdchilders
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I had to replace the the whole drive axle on my 91 accord and it only cost right around 199 for a shop to do it. depending on who does it, anywhere from 200 to 275 isn't bad.

RightWingZionist
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Ah I got it done a long time ago, $220 at a mobile shop for the left front axle including towing and tax, with warranty.
Now either I'm getting paranoid or the rear wheels of my car make noise when I turn now. I think my car is finally falling appart; getting a Subaru in the summer anyways. How much would a dealership give you for a trade in?

Add your comment to this topic!