Hold button on shifter panel

shrek77
03-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Help.... What does the hold button on the shifter panel do? When I press it does that mean that I can shift manually like those more expensive cars? I need someone to take me step by step on how the hold button works... Oh and I just got a 2004 Chevy Aveo hatchback with 35,000 miles on it.

mikedudley17
03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
firstly i would like to mention that your user manual has a plethora of information about all the little buttons in your car.
secondly i do beleive that this topic was mentioned in a previous thread.
but on to the point - the hold button is a great lil button for slippery days. think of it as a traction control button and not a "hold" button. what it does is when pressed it disengages 1st gear and automatically puts in second gear. that allows less torque to be delivered to the wheel and thus helps to reduce wheelspin on wet and icy roads. for everyday driving tho it is best to keep it off because for one u accelerate slower and two u use more gas trying to get up to speed.

shrek77
03-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I bought the car from a guy in texas who had NO CAR MANUALS so that is WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION! This is a place where you ask QUESTIONS RIGHT I mean last I checked......

mikedudley17
03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
I bought the car from a guy in texas who had NO CAR MANUALS so that is WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION! This is a place where you ask QUESTIONS RIGHT I mean last I checked......

go to your local chevy dealer and ask for a manual. they should gladly provide you one. or if they wont contact gm and ask for them to mail you one.

04AveoLSPJG5204
04-09-2007, 02:17 AM
The hold button doesnt put it into second when you push it. In a nutshell, you can shift the car manually with it.

When "Hold" is on, you will see "HOLD" in the 2nd IP where the clock is. If your car is in D4 (regular Overdrive), then your car will be in third. It goes like this.

Hold On, Shift lever in:
1 - First Gear
2 - Second Gear
D4 - Third Gear
D4 (with Hold Off) - Fourth or Overdrive Gear
These are regardless if you come from a dead stop or even run it to the red line. It will not shift until you move the lever.

Hold Off, Shift lever in:
1 - First Gear
2 - Second Gear
D4 - Third and Fourth Gear
With the Hold function off, the transmission acts like any other transmission. You have the lever in First,run it to the redline and it will shift to second, no matter what. Same with second. From a dead stop, I believe 2 will start up in Second Gear.

Its a nice way to help get more HP from the engine, and also to control the car more manually. I use it some of the time, but when you use it to drive the car like a standard tranny, it will suck up the gas. One more thing, it makes good use for the engine brake as well...just hit hold, it will throw the tranny into third, then shift to second, and so on...do it smart of course. Remember though, that your mileage will go down and more wear and tear will be subject to your tranny.

Hope this helps.

Pedro

procrstinator
04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
The hold button doesnt put it into second when you push it. In a nutshell, you can shift the car manually with it.

When "Hold" is on, you will see "HOLD" in the 2nd IP where the clock is. If your car is in D4 (regular Overdrive), then your car will be in third. It goes like this.

Hold On, Shift lever in:
1 - First Gear
2 - Second Gear
D4 - Third Gear
D4 (with Hold Off) - Fourth or Overdrive Gear
These are regardless if you come from a dead stop or even run it to the red line. It will not shift until you move the lever.

Hold Off, Shift lever in:
1 - First Gear
2 - Second Gear
D4 - Third and Fourth Gear
With the Hold function off, the transmission acts like any other transmission. You have the lever in First,run it to the redline and it will shift to second, no matter what. Same with second. From a dead stop, I believe 2 will start up in Second Gear.

Its a nice way to help get more HP from the engine, and also to control the car more manually. I use it some of the time, but when you use it to drive the car like a standard tranny, it will suck up the gas. One more thing, it makes good use for the engine brake as well...just hit hold, it will throw the tranny into third, then shift to second, and so on...do it smart of course. Remember though, that your mileage will go down and more wear and tear will be subject to your tranny.

Hope this helps.

PedroUmmm ,could you repeat that please ?----LoL ,just kidding ,sounds like unless you are on a steep hill or ice its best to forget about it right?

Add your comment to this topic!