Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alero no fuel pressure

zenron
03-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Hello, My 2000 Alero v6 with 120000+ miles won't start. There's no pressure at all at the fuel rail. There's power to the relay and fuse and you can hear the pump come on for a few seconds then shut off when you turn the key. I thought maybe the filter, but wouldn't there be at least some fuel coming out at the rail? What things could it be that I could check? BTW, When I sprayed gas into the air intake it ran great til the gas was used up. I've checked the forum before posting, but couldn't find anything past checking for fuel pressure and power to the realay thanx in adv. -Ron-

maxwedge
03-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Welcome to AF. Get a pressure gage on the rail, if the pump primes and no pressure it is bad.

BNaylor
03-17-2007, 02:05 PM
A fuel filter can get so clogged where you can get zero fuel pressure. How old is it?

We have several threads about fuel pump and fuel pressure but they are most likely imbedded with other issues. Here is one.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=659453&highlight=fuel+pressure

The fuel pump relay is easy to check or swap out. 12 volts on one side of the relay coil at ignition to on and the ground/low comes from the PCM module. It is just a plug-in relay. Mini-relay #18 at the engine compartment fuse box. Chances are if you hear the fuel pump prime the fuse and relay are good.

kiell2005
03-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I am having a quite similar problem as well, Except when I start he car, the car/tach revs up and down between 2500 and down to 1000 RPM. When I put the Car in gear, it idles properly. Replaced the filter, and problem persists. Not too sure what direction to go next!!

maxwedge
03-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Follow the above posted suggestions, for starters.

Add your comment to this topic!