Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000Bravada Belt/Pulley/Alternator/Tensioner Noise

Merridyn
03-16-2007, 11:10 PM
In the past month, I have had a series of belt noise issues with my 2000 Bravada. In the following order, I have replaced the serpentine belt, the belt-tensioner, and the alternator (which went out soon after replacing the tensioner). Now, there is a "chirping" squeak/squeel that seems to be coming from near the A/C compressor or power-steering pump. The noise can be heard all the way down my street. With this sudden series of belt/pulley/noise problems, I am concerned that there is a deeper underlying problem. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Chris Stewart
03-17-2007, 09:49 AM
The rotor button gets against one of the posts inside the distributor every once in a while resulting in a "chirp-chirp-chirp" at idle and goes away after the motor warms on my '92.

Merridyn
03-18-2007, 02:51 AM
The rotor button gets against one of the posts inside the distributor every once in a while resulting in a "chirp-chirp-chirp" at idle and goes away after the motor warms on my '92.

Thanks for the reply. For me, the noise is least noticeable at idle. As soon as I hit the gas, the noise gets much more intense and does not subside. When I come to a stop and the engine reaches idle again, the noise is at its minimum and almost goes away. The moment I hit the gas, the "screaming" erupts. I am thinking that I should take the serpentine belt off again, and with some tension, rotate the A/C pulley and the Power-steering pump pulley by hand to see if either will give me any indication of trouble. I will post a result soon after.

Merridyn
03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Update: I took the serpentine belt off and spun each of the pulleys by hand (again). The only pulley that winced was the idler pulley. I removed the idler pulley to find that it was in pretty bad shape - a lot of rubbing/grinding as I rotated it. I then replaced the idler pulley:biggrin:. Well, the engine is still squealing/squeeking (different now, but present). I spoke with an employee of the autoparts store while hanging out over the engine listening to the "newest" squeal/squeek. He mentioned the possibility of a bad clutch bearing in the A/C unit:confused: . Costs were $11.00 for cheap, and $34.00 for a bit better clutch bearing. I assume I'll have to take the entire A/C compressor unit off in order to replace it, and I will probably have to bleed the system of its "freon". I think I'll get a second opinion/quote from a mechanic before deciding what the next step is going to be. I would like to do it myself, but the A/C system is probably out of my reach:banghead:.

Chris Stewart
03-20-2007, 06:56 PM
If the clutch bearing is bad then the squeal should stop when the AC is turned on when the clutch is engaged and run off the compressor shaft.

ericn1300
03-20-2007, 09:59 PM
If the clutch bearing is bad then the squeal should stop when the AC is turned on when the clutch is engaged and run off the compressor shaft.

i agree with Chris that the noise should at least change if not go away with the clutch engaged, but do a visual to make sure the a/c clutch is actually engaging if it doesn't. this is about the time of year you find out the freon level is low and you may have to jumper the freon pressure switch to engage the clutch.

Merridyn
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Summary:

Having replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner, alternator (which went bad during this process), and idler pulley, I still had a terrible squeak. Just as I was ready to take the vehicle in to my mechanic, a co-worker asked from where I had purchased the belt and who was the manufacturer. I had purchased a "cheaper" belt from our autoparts store that is open after 6:00pm. My co-worker convinced me to buy the "top of the line" belt before making any decisions.

Sure enough, with a bit of dressing and the new belt installed, the squeak/noise issue is finally silent!!!! :grinyes: I drove the Bravada for a half a day with no squeak! I am more than willing to name the manufacturer, etc., but I am unsure if the website might receive heat for comments for or against specific manufacturers/stores.

Lesson learned.

atfdmike
03-29-2007, 05:41 AM
I, for one, would sure be interested in knowing the brand of the belt that was loud, and the brand you ended up with , not necessarily where you bought it. You would be doing a public service! :grinyes:

ericn1300
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I am more than willing to name the manufacturer, etc., but I am unsure if the website might receive heat for comments for or against specific manufacturers/stores.

Lesson learned.

No problem with posting name brands here. I've seen a lot of post about spark plug brands, dist caps, wires, etc... If it's your personal experience and not hearsay, a product review would be fine.

Merridyn
04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
The original serpentine belt was a "Drive Rite" belt (manufactured by Dayco) at @ $25.00. The second serpentine belt, which eliminated all the noise was a "Gates" belt @ $54.00. There is something to be said about buying the best so that you don't have to buy it twice!

ericn1300
04-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Gates is a long time quality manufactor of belts, never heard of "drive rite". If you couldn't return the cheap belt throw it into the jack compartment and keep it for an emegency spare.

Add your comment to this topic!