Front break rotors warping

chadifalls
03-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before, but has anyone found a way to end the constant warping of front brake rotors? I am thinking about switching to drilled and slotted rotors and possibably see if Baer makes a caliper for my '94. Other than this I love this car. Please give me ideas on this brake issue.
Thanks a lot,
Chad

wrightz28
03-16-2007, 09:58 AM
If the rotors are constantly warping than either

a-the brakes are constantly being riden

b-the lugnuts are not being torqued to the right spec and order

c-calipers are binding

d-improper brake bias (almost all but eliminated tho with ABS systems.)

chadifalls
03-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have heard of this as a constant problem in Buicks for many years. I'll follow thru on your recomendations but would anyone reccomend drilled and slotted rotors to help disipate the heat better?
Thanks,
Chad

Loekee75
03-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't invest in drilled/ slotted rotors until I was sure to have found the problem leading to the warping. You surely don't want to warp those, too! Slotted rotors shouldn't be necessary for "basic" driving...now if you're racing your car often and make frequent stops from high speeds then, yeah, go with the upgraded rotors.

wrightz28
03-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Another couple that just occured to me that I didn't list

Bent dust shields

clogged rotor cooling fins.

And I agree, drilled rotors are not a practical solution. I replced my pads twice in the near 7 years I had my PA, never even needed my rotors turned.

imidazol97
03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before, but has anyone found a way to end the constant warping of front brake rotors? I am thinking about switching to drilled and slotted rotors and possibably see if Baer makes a caliper for my '94. Other than this I love this car. Please give me ideas on this brake issue.
Thanks a lot,
Chad

It sounds like he originals have been replaced.
Have the replacements been quality rotors from quality brands?
Have the calipers been replaced with remanufactured or new?
Have the rear brakes been replaced and adjusted? Maybe they're glazed and low on adjustment and not doing any of the work?

I replaced my fronts at 45K approx and had a dragging caliper before that. the rotors were the original sintered type and I replaced with Raybestos top rotor and remanufactured caliperes and original equipment pads not the long life harder pads. IT worked like a new car.

More recently I read some talk about adjusting their rears. I checked mine and since they ahve 140K mi on them I sandpapered band and drum and adjusted. The automatic adjusters did not keep them up. I never realized that made a difference. Adjusting them tighter made them so I could feel them helping stop. Before that it felt like my fronts did with the longlife pads with lifetime replacement guarantee I had on the older car--harder and harder to push as the pads wore. My fronts were doing more than their share of the work.

chadifalls
03-17-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks everyone very much. I appreciate your advice and look forward to getting these brakes taken care of and doing it right. With only 71,000 miles on this it well worth it.
Chad

mikecee48
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
GM is notorius for putting poorly made rotors on their cars. I think that it's the metal alloy. I bought two rotors from Advance auto parts and long life pads some 10,000 miles back. The Advance parts rep told me that their commercial accounts don't bring them back warped and that sold me. So far, they've done quite well, no pedal pulsation so far!

deerefeed
04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
After my mechanic told me to ease up on the brakes after a hard stop or even creep along allowing the rotors to cool I found that I never had a problem with my 88 Park Avenue brakes. He said the brakes clamping the hot rotor in one position when stopped can damage the rotor. Worked for me.

xs03mich
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Only buy brake rotors made in the USA or Canada. The quality of the rotors are superior. Although they are not cheap. NAPA brand sells a premuim also carquest sells a gold line. Change them and do not worry. I had some cheap overseas stuff on my car and one trip from detroit to down south, and they are shot. The good rotors I can get at least 10 round trips in even pulling a trailer with no problems with the rotors.

wrightz28
05-01-2007, 09:13 AM
GM is notorius for putting poorly made rotors on their cars.

I have to disagree with that statement right there. In 17 years of owning and servicing my GM's I have only replaced 2 set of rotors, due to previous/owner neglect grinding the pad rivets into them. Aside form that, I've only had one set even turned on a lathe.

Jrs3800
05-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I have seen first hand a battery of GM C and H bodies that warped rotors... The factory rotors are the better of the bunch... But once a rotor is warped there is no point in turning it... It will warp again..

Getting the cheapie rotors from the parts store is the worst remedy possible..

I have been Using Bendix Rotors with no issues.. They cost more but are worth every penny.. as well as the Bendix Pads... Both work great together..

as for the drilled rotors, don't bother using them on a GM C or H body... You can get a set of slotted rotors from Napa that will work well with the car..

and most important like it was stated... make sure to adjust the rear brake shoes up when you do this..

choppinwood
06-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I have to disagree with the problem lying with the user . my father owns an 02 monte carlo and after just 5000 miles he started having rotor warping issues. keep in mind this is 4 wheel disc brake traction control and abs. so he took it back to the dealer several times about every 6 to 8 thousand miles and the problem was never solved . I have personaly put new pads rotors calipers on it 2 times. my brother who is an ase certified mechanic has put 2 sets on it. he says it was missing some splash shields or something from the factory. as we speak the rotors are warped. I personaly will never buy another GM product as long as I live. I just bought a new Ford by the way. GM should have made a recall or something to stand behind their product.

rhauck203
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I have to disagree with the problem lying with the user . my father owns an 02 monte carlo and after just 5000 miles he started having rotor warping issues. keep in mind this is 4 wheel disc brake traction control and abs. so he took it back to the dealer several times about every 6 to 8 thousand miles and the problem was never solved . I have personaly put new pads rotors calipers on it 2 times. my brother who is an ase certified mechanic has put 2 sets on it. he says it was missing some splash shields or something from the factory. as we speak the rotors are warped. I personaly will never buy another GM product as long as I live. I just bought a new Ford by the way. GM should have made a recall or something to stand behind their product.
I agree my wife bought a brand new 99 grand am and we had to have the rotors turned at 22,000 miles which only lasted about a year same problem, I talked to the mechanic and asked him why? We do not abuse the brakes..He stated the rotors from the factory were JUNK! He said they made them out of some cheap metel or something that overheats way to easy. I had him install a aftermarket replacment rotor dont know what brand but that was at 30,000 miles after the rotors warped 2 times. Have not had a problem since the aftermarket ones were installed car has almost 80,000 miles now.

Also herd from another reliable source that the factory GM rotors around the year 2000 were junk, I test drove a 2002 Park ave with 20,000 miles rotors were already shot..Its a factory defect end of story. Just replace them dont bother trying to fix them.

Add your comment to this topic!