1987 camaro won't start

daba
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I have a 1987 camaro that was running one day and then the next day it would not start. I think it might be the distributor cap,but i'm not sure. Is there any way to test the distributor cap? I can smell gas,but it will not start. What might i be able to do about this problem?

SG007
03-15-2007, 08:12 PM
What kind of noise does it make? Battery good?

daba
03-15-2007, 08:19 PM
When i turn the key to the on position i can hear the fuel pump and the battery is a brand new one. I have looked over many things and i don't see of any problems

goldz28
03-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Do a search on the forum for VATS or vehicle anti theft system. Could be that if your key has the lil chip in it.

Twizted_3KGT
03-15-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think there was VATS in '87, could be wrong though. Does the engine crank? I doubt it would be the distributor cap unless you've been noticing a rough idle and rough running conditions lately. What EXACTLY happens when you turn the key, sounds and sights?

Morley
03-16-2007, 01:11 AM
In 87 VATS was only in Vetts.

goldz28
03-16-2007, 01:13 AM
You learn somthing new every day.

daba
03-16-2007, 05:25 AM
When I got the car about a month ago, it was running rough. I would be able to start it, but it would stall out. I would be able to do that a few time, then it would run rough at first, then run a bit smoother. The last time it ran, it only ran for a few seconds, then stalled. It did this a couple times, then nothing. It hasn't run since. I put a code reader on and it comes out with no errors. When I try to start it, I can hear it cranking, but once in a great while it sounds like it tries to fire, but then just a cranking sound again. I can smell gas when I do this. The only lights I see are the normal lights that light up when you try to start the car, but those always lit anyway.

wrightz28
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Have you done any retuine amint. since purchasing the car?

No need really for cap, just inspect for crack, carbon tracking, corrosion etc.

Then you need to verify if you have spark and what the condition is.

daba
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
How would you check for spark in a car?

Twizted_3KGT
03-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Pull off one of the wires where it goes onto the spark plug, put the metal part of the connector about half an inch from a ground (you may want to hold it with some pliers), and have someone crank the engine over. If you see it arch between the wire and ground you have spark on that cylinder, and probably the rest.

daba
03-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Where exactly should I place the wire on the engine? And what would I try if it doesn't have spark?

daba
03-17-2007, 03:30 PM
It seems like when I try to start it,it wants to start occasionally but then it just stops and does nothing. Should I try replacing the cap or just keep trying other things?

SG007
03-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Caps are pretty cheap, might as well try that first.

Twizted_3KGT
03-18-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah I just bought a cap+rotor, I think it was under $20. Take yours off and look at the metal in it to see if they're corroded. Couldn't hurt to do the ignition coil at the same time, thats $21 new on eBay, never checked the stores.

You should put the wire near a ground (stut tower bolts, header, etc.) something metal and grounded.

How long has it been since you've changed your spark plugs?

daba
03-19-2007, 06:42 PM
It's been about 5-6 years,but the car was just sitting for four of those 5-6 years.

daba
03-20-2007, 04:05 AM
It has been like 5-6 years since i replaced the plugs in it,but it was sitting for four years.

wrightz28
03-20-2007, 08:36 AM
whoa, so has the gas been sitting in there for the 4 years? Has iit been routinely started?

daba
03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
I just bought a distributor cap on wednesday and it wants to start now but it just won't fully start. Do you know what could be wrong now?

Morley
03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I just bought a distributor cap on wednesday and it wants to start now but it just won't fully start. Do you know what could be wrong now?
If it just halfass fires but weakly I would bet on an ignition module. Take yours out and take it to an auto parts store and have them test it (do 5 tests back to back to get it warmed up). If it fails the test replace it with an AC Delco module...NO OTHER MODULE WILL DO! The aftermarket modules are crap (GP, Wells, etc).

daba
03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
will advance auto test the ignition coil for free? Is there any way to fix the one that is on now if i don't really want to buy one?

wrightz28
03-23-2007, 01:08 PM
taking a quick step backwards fo ra second, is ignition timing correct? Brown wire for the ecm is connected and still, what about that gas?

daba
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Well it was in it for all the years,but i had it running after that. I also put a bottle of dry gas in to get the moisture out of the gas.

Morley
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
will advance auto test the ignition coil for free? Is there any way to fix the one that is on now if i don't really want to buy one?
Not the coil, the ignition module. It sits under the rotor and is a long thin plastic piece with 2 pins on one end and 5 on the other.
Yes, Advance Auto will test the module for free and No, they can't be repaired, neither can the coil itself.

daba
03-23-2007, 07:03 PM
I was wondering if cleaning the air filters would make any difference what so ever? Also would the timing chain be any problem in this situation?

Twizted_3KGT
03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
I was wondering if cleaning the air filters would make any difference what so ever? Also would the timing chain be any problem in this situation?

No that won't make a bit of difference, unless its completely blocked off with like a rabbit or something. And no, you would know if the timing chain had a problem because it wouldn't try to start and you would have described a "whirring" sound.

Now did I see you say it's had the same gas in it for 4 years? If so, that gas is no good, dry-gas or not, it can only do so much.

Get a can of intake cleaner, or starting fluid. Take off the air hose that goes into the throttle body, spray some fluid in the throttle body while holding it open (do not spray the air filter or anything that can burn easy, that's how you set your engine on fire...trust me), then try to start it. If it starts for a second, its fuel related and its either bad fuel or a bad fuel pump/filter.

daba
03-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I just got 5 gallons of gas and i had it running for a second but now it really wants to start but i think i flooded it so i will try again in a while.

daba
03-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I got it running thanks for all of the help. But it is running fine now

Add your comment to this topic!