Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 1500 Power Steering Pump Change Questions

littlewillie
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I’m about to replace the P/S pump on the 1500 5.7. Haven’t changed one before. I searched here, located some posts about the pulley removal & installation. Several questions I have that I could not find any information on:
1) Is there a way to drain the P/S fluid other than opening the lines?
2) New pumps are available with or without the reservoir. Does the reservoir require any special tools to remove or install?
3) New pumps are available with or without hydroboost. What is hydroboost & do I need it?

Thanks,
Willie

MT-2500
03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Most parts places will rent or loan a pulley remover tool.
Most rebuilt PS pumps come with a pulley installer bolt kit.
If your truck has a vacuum brake booster it does not have a hydro boost.
They have no drain plugs. just remove lines and change it.
If your old pump is still pumping you can remove the return line and flush system.
No special tools required to change the tank.
But it may be as cheap or sometimes cheaper to get a pump that has one on it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
MT

littlewillie
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks MT for your reply. I now have a better understanding about the hydroboost. The steering has been real hard twice in the past month right after start up for about 5 seconds. Last week I heard an unusual sound from the P/S pump while turning the wheel. I'm taking a different look after reading what you wrote about if the pump still works, drain & flush the system. I do have a return hose that is leaking. This leaking hose could be causing the pump to take on some air & that could be causing my problems. I'm going to replace the hose & flush the system & see what happens. I'll post the results after I do it.

Willie

MT-2500
03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks MT for your reply. I now have a better understanding about the hydroboost. The steering has been real hard twice in the past month right after start up for about 5 seconds. Last week I heard an unusual sound from the P/S pump while turning the wheel. I'm taking a different look after reading what you wrote about if the pump still works, drain & flush the system. I do have a return hose that is leaking. This leaking hose could be causing the pump to take on some air & that could be causing my problems. I'm going to replace the hose & flush the system & see what happens. I'll post the results after I do it.

Willie

You are welcome.
Let us know how it goes.
MT

littlewillie
05-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Changed the power steering pump & hi pressure line last week. Everything went good. Bought a reman pump w/reservoir from Advance Auto Parts for $49 + tax. Did not have the hydro-boost pump. The new pump came with the bolt to re-install the pulley. I had something to remove the pulley.

Willie

MT-2500
05-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for posting back how it went.
Glad all is well and going ok.
Good Luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!