Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strange Electrical Problem today

Johnnymac
03-15-2007, 08:28 AM
I have a 2000 Wrangler, 6 Cyl, manual trans, 73k miles

On my way to work this morning I noticed my Airbag light on, i opened my door and shut it and it went off. About 5 minutes later it came on again, this time the Airbag light, the malfunction indicator light both came on any my speedomoter and odomoter both went dead. The jeep was still driving fine with no noticable power issues. after about a minute or two they all went off. This cycle of strangeness happened about 3 times in a 30 minute drive to work.

Any ideas what this could be? Has anyone had this problem before?
Thanks.

fredjacksonsan
03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I've heard of similar issues on '99 Cherokees. The first thing I'd do is to check all the connections leading to the gauges under the dash.

dugan50
03-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Been off-roading lately? Water and electrical connections do not get along. Aside from that, check the ground connections near the battery and body.

http://www.airbagsolutions.com

Johnnymac
03-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Been off-roading lately? Water and electrical connections do not get along. Aside from that, check the ground connections near the battery and body.

Thanks for the reply. I drove for about 45 min at lunch and no problems at all. This morning was very foggy here this morning which is pretty unusual, so I was thinking maybe some condensation got somewhere it normally doesn't and was causing the abnormality. Hopefully it wont happen again, if it does I'll make sure to note the weather conditions and will check my grounds and for lose wires.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually on Tuesday this week we had an incredible storm and I drove through some pretty high water but that was 2 days ago, could that have caused anything specifically that I could check for?

Johnnymac
03-16-2007, 08:09 AM

I was having the same problem this morning and no fog. I noticed something different though, on my odometer it red "no bu5"

Ray H
03-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Thats not a "strange" problem at all. Its fairly common. The fix is to pull the gauge cluster out by taking the face of the dash off. Its not as big of a deal as iot sounds, just a few screws. Theres a main connector behind the cluster with about 15 or 20 pins. Take a small set of needle nose pliers and slightly twist the connector pins so they fit tighter and make a better connection when the connector is plugged in. Just for the fun of it, put some dielectric grease in the connector to seal it good, then put it all back together. Good (better than) as new.

skip 07
04-28-2007, 06:03 PM
my wifes 03 wrangler will not start. she drove to the store , came out 10 minutes later...nothing. She has all electrical ie lights radio, etc. I checked all fuses and all are good. It just won't turn over.Nothing. any ideas? I also could feel the relays clicking too .

KRH66
09-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I have a 99 Wrangler sport. Same problem, tach, speedometer go out and airbag light comes on. Have done extensive research and seems common problem with 99 models. Have tried everything, including replacing wiring. Didn't work. Dealer stumped. Finally found fix (sort of) out of frustration. Hit the dash on the top center and guess what everything comes back on. Mine has done it 4-5 times different weather conditions, over the years. Just had it do it again this a.m. Hadn't done it in over a year. If anyone figures it out- let me know.

Ray H
09-08-2007, 10:02 AM
I have a 99 Wrangler sport. Same problem, tach, speedometer go out and airbag light comes on. Have done extensive research and seems common problem with 99 models. Have tried everything, including replacing wiring. Didn't work. Dealer stumped. Finally found fix (sort of) out of frustration. Hit the dash on the top center and guess what everything comes back on. Mine has done it 4-5 times different weather conditions, over the years. Just had it do it again this a.m. Hadn't done it in over a year. If anyone figures it out- let me know.

Did you read my post above?

BLAZERBOY69
09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Did you read my post above?

if you do put dielectric grease on the connectors, be sure that it doesn't cause contact between the connectors once the dash guages are back in. i kept getting the no bu5 on my odometer, and finally took the guage panel out and saw..........

A HAIR!!!!, with dielectric grease, acting like a jumper between the connectors on the car side of the dash panel.

BLAZERBOY69
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
my wifes 03 wrangler will not start. she drove to the store , came out 10 minutes later...nothing. She has all electrical ie lights radio, etc. I checked all fuses and all are good. It just won't turn over.Nothing. any ideas? I also could feel the relays clicking too .

BETTER OFF STARTING A NEW THREAD, RATHER THAN PUTTING MORE TROUBLE ON THIS ONE. PLUS IT GIVES THEM LURKERS ONE MORE THING TO LOOK AT.

Add your comment to this topic!