Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

McRae & Grist Split

freakray
10-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Well finally something good is happening for Nicky Grist, he and McRae have split with immediate effect.
Grist will no longer be co-driving for McRae, and won't be in the second seat for the rest of the season either.
Apparently, the speculation is that as of next year, Grist will be working for Channel 4 from the UK, which is the UK channel that covers the WRC.
I wish Nicky everything of the best and hope he has a bright and less crash and roll strewn future. As for McRae......go find yourself a tree or something:D

OVADOSE
10-09-2002, 04:22 AM
:eek: wot Mcrae and Grist are toast......i think i was watching the sanremo preveiw and they both said there driver/co-driver relationship was fine, i geuss the crash on day 1 off rally NZ just tipped the scales.

freakray
10-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Ovadose,
You can read about it here:
http://ford.wrc-online.net/default.asp?sid=2&pid=2&stid=1540

Ray

OVADOSE
10-10-2002, 07:19 AM
Cheers Freakray, I was watching a video off the 2002 Rally NZ and noticed that when McRae crashed you can see and hear him snap like a big baby at Grist, tellin him to stay in the car ect ect.

freakray
10-10-2002, 07:54 AM
I'm not surprised if McRae did snap at Grist like a big baby, simply because he is a big baby.
I recall an incident last year when McRae was asked how he would feel if Burnsie would win the World Championship, McRae was all about 'I don't want him to, if he wins that then I won't be the only brit to win it' and all, I was never a fan of McRae, but after hearing that come out his mouth, I have hated the scotsman. I got a kick out of watching him roll off everything in Cyprus(or wherever it was).

ales
10-10-2002, 08:45 AM
You can go h e r e (http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/Gallery/Video/VideoSearch.htm?Media=Video) and watch the crashes from the NZ rally. The silence and McRae's look at Grist speaks for itself.

Also look at Burns's crash - quite a big one.

OVADOSE
10-11-2002, 06:06 AM
there were a few big crashes at this years rally NZ, and drama 2 TV crew members and a spectator being hit by a car. Biggest dissapointment for me Jani Paasonen crashing out while in 4th place (big mitsi fan) and to make things worse he crashed rite in front of my very eyes:(

freakray
10-11-2002, 07:56 AM
At least you got to see it, here I can only see what I get to watch on TV.
When I was living in South Africa, the city I lived in hosted the Algoa Rally, on the friday night the super-special was help on the beachfront in one huge parking lot, we used to go to a bar overlooking the lot to watch.
Then after, they would run the cars like they do in the WRC, on regular roads back to Parce Ferme.
Imagine sitting at a light in a 1300 Mazda 323 when a AWD factory VW golf pulls alongside you and revs it up, I can't descibe that engine roar, but I thought I was in heaven.
In the WRC I like the Subaru's, especially that engine sound, but I like Peugeot too, and the way that turbo sounds spooling full-time.

OVADOSE
10-12-2002, 05:45 AM
Freakray its a shame u dont get to see live rally anymore, thank god coverage of the wrc is getting better and better, and with certain stages of a number of rallies being broadcast live next year it should only get better.
To be honest im not sad to see the end of this years wrc, as next year should be so much better, (6 months to rally NZ:D ) Citroen doing all 14 rounds(and hopefully Sebastien Loeb showing Colin Mcrae whos boss!!) and if ford cant afford Carlos then Markko Martin will become team leader, I just hope Ford get the car right on tarmac so Martin can challange for the title. Lets hope Subaru lose some off there bad luck and Mitsubishi make Jani Pasonen a permement fixture. Also have Peugoet added a 5th driver to there line up for next year (finnish driver cant remember his name) seems a bit overkill considering they have Gronholm, Burns, Panizzi & Rovenpera.
Anyway thats just my 2cents.

Big Pat
11-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Just got the hear Grist as a commentator on the Speed broadcast.

What a fine job he did!

And McRae took on his old co-driver, Derek Ringer, which he sacked for making too many mistakes back in 1996 (?).

Add your comment to this topic!