Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Complecated decals/ Paint Jobs

Jonno
10-08-2002, 06:29 AM
Here is a tip for those of you who have scanners and get a model like the Ford Focus WRC where two different colours meet under decals. Scan the decals and print them out in actual size (doesn't have to be colour) then cut out the decals on the piece of paper that you just printed out then:

Stick the decals where they are suposed to go on the body after the main colour has been painted. Now you can either use this as a mask and mask everything that is suposed to be the colour that you have sprayed, and then spray the other body colour. When the paint is dry, take the piece of paper off, then the real decals should be able to fit in its place.

Or

You can stick the printed out copy where the decals are suposed to go on the un-painted body, and use your Xacto Knife to lightly imprint a line in the plastic and through the middle of the paper decal. Take the paper decal off, and there should be a line in the actual models plastic.
Use this as a guide for the masking.

Although this may be a bit confusing, It works.

If you don't understand what I have said here, just call out and I will be glad to re-write it.

Cheers.

935k3
10-08-2002, 08:54 AM
That is a good tip. I used to use a copier at work before I got a scanner.
I scan every decal sheet of the car I am working an just in case I need to make a replacement. I used that tip on the Tamiya Calsonic Nissan R89C, it is the only way to figure out that kind of masking.

Add your comment to this topic!