Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 GL problems

_GhOsT_
03-14-2007, 01:29 AM
ok lets start somewhere easy
sometimes when i drive, my car will sputter, and sometimes it feels like there is no gas when i press the gas pedal, kinda just dies down until i tap the pedal a few times real quick

my heater core blew up
i know its a bitch, and the dash needs to be removed
where can i find a good one for cheap

Doug Tatham
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
I bought my heater core from sasponline.com

The hole where the thermo sensor goes was not drilled out enough, but I just expaned it a bit and it works fine. I think it cost about $120, but I don't remember fopr sure.
The dying out sounds like your fuel pump or fuel supply pump is going out. You may check the fuel filter as well.

_GhOsT_
03-14-2007, 10:24 PM
i am probably going to get a heater core from that site you showed
my brother is going to see if his business parter has any parts

im going to have him also look at my fuel pump, and now my oil light comes on but i have oil

german engineering, yeah right

Mightiestmike
04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
My Heater core in my 92 is gone too... :(

Doug Tatham
04-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I was thinking about the A/C core when I read the initial thread. Same goes for the heater core, except that it's cheaper and there isn't a thermo sensor to worry about.
If the heater isn't working check to see if the coolant can flow through the core. The problem usually isn't the core (unless the problem is coolant dumping inside the car), it's usually the foam rubber inside the core unit. The core has sheet metal with large holes and is covered with foam so that it can direct the flow of air. The foam decays and falls off and your heater sends cold fresh air into the car. If you take the core apart you can recover the sheet metal with foam rubber (use the stuff for window a/c unit filters) and it will work just fine. I used contact cement to hold it in.

_GhOsT_
04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
after tearing apart my car
the inlet side of the heater core burst, and the engine to heater core connector broke off and was basically a crumbled mess

Doug Tatham
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I checked on the heater core cost. Slightly under $70.00.
It's easier to replace than the A/C core. Considering you have to remove it to replace the A/C core it goes without saying. It's still a bit of a pain. When you remove the dash, there are a couple bolts under the hood in addition to the obvious ones inside the car. I strongly recommend using some kind of service manual. One of the dash bolts is beside the windshield motor and is hard to get at. The one on the passenger side is pretty easy to take off. When your remove the dash, draw a picture of how the wiring is routed. It will come in handy. You have to drain the coolant. Be sure to us VW coolant when you refill it, the stuff is really good.
The heater core has a couple bolts that go through the firewall and has nuts inside the engine compartment. They aren't too bad to get to, but you do have to climb in a bit.

Add your comment to this topic!