Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jimmy idles fine, but when driving...

anthonyalan
03-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Nobody seems to be working on the Jimmy pages, so I will try here?

I have a 92 GMC S-15 Jimmy 4.3L. I started having this problem in about October, my Jimmy has been sitting all winter, and now that it's warm again I'm back to workin on it.

It will idle fine, but when driving down the road, it sputters. Most time at wide open throttle it will not sputter, but does almost all the time at low revs, but when stopped, will idle fine.

I first thought rust go in the tank, or the fuel pump was going bad.I removed the tank, no rust, and put a new(well...different...from the junkyard) pump on, and I have the same problem. It seems that the longer it sits, it gets better, but the more it's driven, the worse it gets.

I was wondering how I could tell if it might be the fuel pressure regulator, or how I could tell if it is the nut kit(or whatever it's called) Inside the intake manifold. And how does a vehicle act when the nut kit needs replacing?

Blue Bowtie
03-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Test the running and standing fuel pressure.

Inadequate fuel pressure usually manifests itself on startup and at WOT. Since you did not report starting difficulty, and is evidently runs properly at WOT, I suspect you won't find a running fuel pressure problem. However, you may find that the fuel pressure does not maintain very long after shut down.

There is also a possibility of an ignition problem, or injectors which no longer produce an atomized cone of fuel spray.

DelCoch
03-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Check this post (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=683478)it may help.

Add your comment to this topic!