Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Corsica stalls out at stop

NnyInside
03-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Alright, I first I'd like to appologize because I've noticed that a few people have posted about problems like this numerous times on other forums. I bought this little corsica for like $300 of a friend of mine, fixed up a few problems it had. I was looking for a manual but needed a car right then so i bought this off of him. Really a nice little car, get's gas mileage that my friends wish they had with some of their newer cars. all of the problems my friend had with the car were all really simple things to take care of, but now i'm having a problem my friend never had with the car.

Usually takes more than 20 minutes of driving, maybe 17-20 miles of distance. I notice after this time that the engine seems to be running a little rough while i'm still going at speeds over 45 mph. when i start slowing down, i can feel something is wrong. I can hear the difference in the engine at about 25-35 mph, but when i'm getting really close to actually stopping, such as at a traffic light or stop sign at the end of an off ramp, it chugs to a stall. I start it up while in park or neutral, and the engine sounds fine, nice healthy sound until i pop it in drive and it immediately cuts out. This can happen anywhere from 2-7 times (meanwhile traffic behind me has some choice words about the green light that i have been sitting at for the last 45 seconds :banghead: ) before whatever is wrong rights itself temperarily and the car goes. Seems to just work itself out until the next time i come to a stop.

I haven't had time to propery test this again, but the last time it was acting up I drove around a bit longer before heading home. I drove around in areas at speeds of complete idle to 30 mph, trying to make sure it didn't kick into the next speed. The temperature gauge never spikes or goes to a dangerous level through any of this and it doesn't stall. In order to get home I ended up having to take a road with a 45 mph speed limit and after getting it that fast and coming to a stop it stalled out again in the same fashion as listed above.

This occured a few times in September, and i tried to just baby it a little bit and hope it would go away. changed the oil, checked the other fluids and for the most part it stopped doing it.

I'm not the most car savy guy on the planet, but the only things i could think up on my own is that there's something that's over heating. on a related topic, the upper radiator coolant hose busted open today. it was an old hose that looks like it was bulging at the clamp and it just split on it's side. I also have seen some people with similiar problems and fingers pointed to the TCC solenoid (not a clue what THAT is whatsoever :shakehead).

I don't mean to give any information that isn't important, I just wanted to be thorough. If you guys have any ideas, i'm all up for them, as long as they don't include replacing the whole transmission. I love that little car and i like it's gas mileage, but i bought it for $300, the repairs cost roughly $800 to get it inspection worthy last year. It's not worth it to do extensive repair work, but i'm all ears for anything that you guys have to say.

jsgold
03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Almost always the torque converter solenoid that causes this. Simple fix is to unplug the 4 prong plug on the transaxle. You won't get quite the fuel economy you had but it will only be a slight drop off. If you opt to get it fixed it will be about 150 dollars to have it done. The part is cheap (about 20 bucks) but hard to replace.

NnyInside
03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Thank you, just wanted to get an outside opinion, but where in the world is this plug? Any idea where I could find it in my year, I have a Haynes book for most of my repairs but it doesn't even touch the transmission.

jsgold
03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
The plug should be at the top the of the transmission. On my 91 with a 3.1 engine I have to remove the air filter assembly to get at it but usually it is easier to find on newer ones. Should be able to see to see it when looking at the engine, again it is at the top of transmission. It had 4 prongs on it. Unhook it and you should be good to go.

NnyInside
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks, worked like a charm. I still haven't had any long distance drive, but I found it, right passed the Air Filter. I hope this has taken care of it but I'll let ya know if it doesn't. THANKS!

CaptainTrips
04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
dont know how this got at the bottom... so i changed it *shrug* congrats!

Add your comment to this topic!