Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lighting replacement

greekman
09-07-2001, 02:27 AM
okay here's the deal: the light is out on my climate control area. actually it's only the light that displays the direction of air flow (head, feet, defrost, etc...). i thought it would be easy to replace so i went out and bought a bulb. i took everything out and didn't see where i can put a new bulb in. any suggestions or advice? thanks.

bump909
09-11-2001, 12:44 PM
putting this to the top.. i'd like to know the answer to this as well, since my HVAC lights only seem to work every once and a while.

i'm thinking it has something to do with the electronics completely and not just the bulbs.. seeing that many other P10 owners have had similar problems. anyone?

kenchan
09-14-2001, 02:12 PM
hehee, reminds me of my wife's old altima....the entire instrument panel lighting would sometimes go off! then I bang the dash and walla! hahahaha. :D

dbsborg
09-18-2001, 09:39 PM
When I bought my 95 G20 a few months back I discovered after a few days when I went out at night that my bush buttons were dead too. Same problem you got. After I got over the temper tantrum, I went to the dealer who told me that it was such a problem that Nissan had started making a kit for it with seven bulbs. The unit only needs four but the others were in there for convenience because of different versions.

Anyway, it's a pain but it can be done. Unhook the temp control cable by pulling it out of the retainer spring and then take out the end. Unplug the wires and take the whole thing out. You have to dismantle the unit completely by taking out the little phillips screws and taking care of some plastic tabs here and there. You'll end up with just a circuit board in your hands. The buttons and slider use three bulbs and the AC button the fourth. I'd replace them all at once since it's such a royal pain in the ass to get to!

It scared me at times since I wasn't sure I'd get it back together. The push buttons pop into place with a snap and I was sure I broke something.

Hmmmm, at least I felt like I accomplished something :D

allstock
01-07-2002, 07:50 PM
hi,

need some help. almost all the lights in the climate control box ('96 g20 btw) are out. it's no fun guessing at night in a snowstorm!

anyway, if anyone has (or knows of) instructions on how to get the climate box out of the center console, please let me know. also, bulb size(s) so I can do it all at once.

thanks!

-allstock-

dbsborg
01-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Getting the climate control box out is the easy part compared to getting IT apart. As I said above, it is easier to disconnect the temp control cable from the other end. Then take out the four screws and angle it out of there. Next, yank the elec plugs off.

The bulbs are special order unless your dealer has a big inventory. They don't have standard numbers..you have to get them from the dealer. They're tiny things that require a very small screwdriver to insert and twist. As I said above the parts people know all about this problem.

I did it from scratch without a book and I think most people could.

Add your comment to this topic!