Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

swishing noise

phishmun2001
03-11-2007, 11:56 AM
:screwy: My fiance has an equinox. You can hear a swishing noise, like water rushing through a tube, upon slow acceleration. It's cpmming from the f ront end. Any ideas of what it could be? I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the heater core. The heat will sometimes get cold than go back to being warm.

Backyardmech54
10-08-2012, 12:41 PM
My wife has one that does the same thing! She keep's asking me if i can hear it, but I can't . Im hard of hearing .. Did u ever get an answer or solution to your problem?

gmtech1
10-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Usually cause by low coolant condition/air in cooling system. Check coolant level, check for leaks, bleed the cooling system and fill.

Backyardmech54
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Ill flush and fill tomorrow......thanks for the tip!

Ruley73
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Ill flush and fill tomorrow......thanks for the tip!

This is much easier said than done with this vehicle. The radiator drain plug must be loosened and the engine block coolant drain plug must also be removed to get just most of the old coolant out.

You are probably just hearing the coolant flowing through the heater core which is normal. Ours has always done this too. I wouldn't worry about it. I just flushed the cooling system a few months ago because it was due at almost 6 years old (assembled in November 2006 - only 80K miles though), and the noise is still there. It is only audible in perfect listening conditions with everything off except the engine running - even then it is difficult to hear.

Add your comment to this topic!