Locating EGR valve on 2000 Accord EX V6

ChrisBany
10-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Could anyone explain where to find the EGR valve on my 2000 Accord V6?
And/or how to clean it, if its just carbon build up could I clean it with carb cleaner?
Is that all the Honda dealership would do is clean it? Or would honda replace the egr valve with the recall?

Thanks for any help and/or advice,
Chris

Please respond via this discussion board and not email...thanks

HONDA_99
10-08-2002, 08:12 AM
dealer replaces EGR vavle because cleaning of it is only postpone problem.

take your car to dealer and have them deal with this problem.

gunnmen01
10-18-2002, 08:41 PM
If the egr valve is causing a check engine light, they should replace it under warranty, otherwise what wrong with it?

gunnmen01

2000AccordDude
01-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Has anyone gotten a definitive answer from Honda about this yet ??

My 'Check Engine' indicator has recently lit up and the diagnosis was the EGR lift.

Any suggestions otherwise ??

TIA.

HONDA_99
01-14-2003, 11:56 PM
go to dealer.

lorunner
05-11-2003, 01:11 PM
go to the dealor, if there is less than 80k on it they will cover it under the EGR extension. they have to replace the EGR, remove the intake manifold and clean out the gunk in the EGR passage then they drill the port bigger and put a special tube in the port I gues its like a teflon frying pan non stick.

loach1
06-01-2003, 07:52 PM
I had the EGR problem too. MIL indicated insufficient flow so I ruled out the valve - if it doesn't open and close properly the code will indicate an EGR 'lift' problem. I removed the upper inlet manifold (plenum chamber really) and found the weak point in the EGR port. Where the exhaust gases pass from the lower manifold to the upper manifold there is a significant reduction in bore size meaning that any deposits that want to stick will stick at this point. The hole into the plenum was completely blocked and needed a coat hanger to clear the blockage. I also cleared what I could from the lower manifold and used a shop-vac to make sure I had flow - no problem there. I bolted it all back together and reset the MIL by pulling fuse #13. I drove the car several times accumulating 50 miles or so and got it inspected. The OBDII results were all good and the car passed with flying colors.

The last inspection failed because the MIL reset method leaves some sensors in a 'not ready' state that the inspector can see and in my county, will result in failure. To get the sensors ready, several drive cycles are necessary and in my case these were enough to turn on the MIL again.

I don't think the clog will recurr too soon but if it does the job only took an hour.

mookow
06-28-2003, 12:46 AM
Yes just bring it to the dealer b4 75-80k (can't remember which one it is) and they will replace it under warranty, if not it is like 370 to replace it. I know they do this for the v6 accords, but does anyone know if other honda's are covered? I have a '99 civic with 68k on it. I believe the egr valve is malfunctioning, but don't want to take it to honda unless I know it is covered. It is 78 bucks everytime u take it to honda, and they refuse to tell u if the part is covered under warranty. they just say take it in and they will look at it. oh yeah I took my 2000 v6 accord at 65k in for the egr problem and it was covered.

1BADTL
07-10-2003, 10:04 AM
This should help:

http://www.nhtsa.com/TSBScans/sb627312.pdf

lobrutto
10-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Yes just bring it to the dealer b4 75-80k (can't remember which one it is) and they will replace it under warranty, if not it is like 370 to replace it. I know they do this for the v6 accords, but does anyone know if other honda's are covered? I have a '99 civic with 68k on it. I believe the egr valve is malfunctioning, but don't want to take it to honda unless I know it is covered. It is 78 bucks everytime u take it to honda, and they refuse to tell u if the part is covered under warranty. they just say take it in and they will look at it. oh yeah I took my 2000 v6 accord at 65k in for the egr problem and it was covered.

I have a 1998 Honda accord ex. I would like to know if this EGR was a recall for for the 1998 accord. Does this EGR have anything to do with the intake manifold? My check engine light comes on and if mechanic cleans "something?" the check engine goes off for a day or two and he said it is related to the intake manifold :banghead: . The codes that are associated with this are P1491 and P0401. What do these codes stand for? Moreover, this intake manifold did not affect performance in the warmer months however in the colder months I have had a significant problem. If car is not allowed to warm up and I start to drive right away there is significant hesitiation when I push the gas and the car does not accelerate and then after a few seconds it buckles like a bronco. However if allowed to warm up this suppresses the problem.
Please help and let me know if any other have experienced similar problems.

1BADTL
10-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Download that PDF file above. It shows what has to be done on the v6. Not sure about the 98.

Not only do they clean it, they install some new parts. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Should have been a mandatory recall, not a TSB.

under advisement
10-12-2003, 02:12 PM
It is not a recall, it is a warranty extension. It is a design flaw in the V6 EGR ports caused by the port being to small and the metal it is made from actually attracting carbon buildup. The reason it wasn't an actual recall was because it isn't a safety concern, and it doesn't happen to all cars. Using higher octane fuel and babying the car contribute heavily to the speed at which problems develop. It is a much more common occurence in Odyssey vans because they tend to be driven more gently. I've seen the EGR kit done on vans with 20,000 miles on them.

As far as doing it yourself, if your car is out of the emmissions extension warranty, 8 years/80,000 miles. Spend the $350-$400 dollars to have the dealership do it. The pipe they install after drilling out the EGR port is the most important part because it's made from a different metal that the carbon doesn't collect on.

mchiper
01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
under advisement said:

"As far as doing it yourself, if your car is out of the emmissions extension warranty, 8 years/80,000 miles. Spend the $350-$400 dollars to have the dealership do it. The pipe they install after drilling out the EGR port is the most important part because it's made from a different metal that the carbon doesn't collect on.":screwy:

Frankly, this is the kind of advice I could do without.
I didn't have time to mess with it since no one answered the question,
and I needed to register the car.
After being charged $416 by my "Friendly" Honda dealer to install the kit,
I checked to see if I could see what was done.
BTW - The EGR valve is under the right side, plastic, intake manifold cover.
A new EGR valve costs $89 on line, and it all it takes to remove is to undo 2 nuts and remove a plug. ( A 5 minute job.)
It appears there's a new EGR valve.
The intake manifold bolts were not removed, and I suspect they wouldn't have to be (despite other comments to the contrary). :mad:
A perfectly satisfactory repair would have been to clean out the tube.

somick
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Check the date before posting! This thread is six years old....

Sam

asdfghjklq
09-07-2011, 02:36 AM
ok i understood everything everyone was saying made sence....but it's old post r u saying that now u dont have to do all that stuff and and putting in that new metal piece....i just have to unbolt the two bolts and replace the egr valve...i'm going to be doing this job very soon so if anyone has help i need it lol...i am debating if i can get a friend who know's his stuff to do it but if it takes alot of work i'm just going to pay a mchanice to do it

kroekerevan
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know that would fix the problem. I replaced my EGR valve with a brand new one and the code still comes up (and check engine light comes on). So I'm thinking there might be something else going on there as well.

Add your comment to this topic!