please help!! etc engine failsafe mode in lsv8 03'

ANGIZEE1
03-10-2007, 06:38 PM
other than replacing the trans, the only other problem i have with my ls is the engine, out of nowhere my car acted like it was going to cut out on me, the engine light came on and said " etc engine failsafe mode" this limits to me to only 2000 rpms, what could this be, the tps?

shorod
03-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the cylinder head temperature sensor read high and went into heat pump mode, shutting off some of the cylinders to act as heat pumps. Did you happen to notice what the temp gauge read at the time?

Did you check your owner's manual to see what it has to say about the message?

You can also swing by your local auto parts store and see if they can read the codes for you. Most will do that at no charge, just don't automatically take their advice on the cause. Your best bet would be to get the exact code and post it on this forum and/or do a Google search for it.

-Rod

ANGIZEE1
03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the cylinder head temperature sensor read high and went into heat pump mode, shutting off some of the cylinders to act as heat pumps. Did you happen to notice what the temp gauge read at the time?

Did you check your owner's manual to see what it has to say about the message?

You can also swing by your local auto parts store and see if they can read the codes for you. Most will do that at no charge, just don't automatically take their advice on the cause. Your best bet would be to get the exact code and post it on this forum and/or do a Google search for it.

-Rod

i took it to the shop and they said that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced, the whole part. so we ordered the part and replaced it, sure enough after dishing out the money when i started to pull off it was like nothing even was fixed it was still messed up, so they hooked it back to the computer and came to the conclustion that lincoln sent them a bad part, the tps was not working properly causing the problem to persist. hopefully when i pick it up it will be fixed, i miss my car....

shorod
03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I would suggest you ask them to explain how a bad throttle body could cause the cylinder head temperature to go high enough to set the light. I don't see any way that the throttle body could cause a high head temperature condition.

I doubt the throttle body they put on was bad, and I doubt that the original one is faulty.

-Rod

savone
05-15-2007, 09:55 AM
other than replacing the trans, the only other problem i have with my ls is the engine, out of nowhere my car acted like it was going to cut out on me, the engine light came on and said " etc engine failsafe mode" this limits to me to only 2000 rpms, what could this be, the tps?

There is an air sensor coming off of the air intake box. I once got an oil change and air filter changed. The jerk at the shop unplugged this sensor to get the air filter in and never CLICKED it back in. I got the same light when i started the car. I would check the connection of this sensor.

Quik_LS
05-15-2007, 11:07 AM
There have been numerous reports of this - and it usually is:
- a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) and is replace with the entire throttle body unit

- or - more commonly -

- a bad coil that is causing interference with the drive-by-wire setup. The car thinks the TPS is bad but it is actually a coil. The typical pattern is the dealer swaps the throttle body and the problem returns quickly.....

If it's an early 03 - you may have the older valve cover gaskets which leak oil into the spark plug wells, shorting out the coils. once they pop the coil cover off - they should be able to see if there is oil in there...

shorod
05-15-2007, 12:31 PM
If it's an early 03 - you may have the older valve cover gaskets which leak oil into the spark plug wells, shorting out the coils. once they pop the coil cover off - they should be able to see if there is oil in there...

Didn't this gasket issue get fixed in mid-2002? I was thinking that the 2003 model year, when they went with the higher engine output, had the gasket and most of the transmission concerns worked out.

-Rod

Quik_LS
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Didn't this gasket issue get fixed in mid-2002? I was thinking that the 2003 model year, when they went with the higher engine output, had the gasket and most of the transmission concerns worked out.

-Rod

the fix came out in late 2002 - however - all 2002 and early 2003 came out with the old gasket...... mid-2003 model year have the new gaskets OEM.

shorod
05-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Interesting, thanks for the information!

-Rod

stuartjones
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Today, my certified pre-owned 2006 LS had its electronic throttle body replaced. It caused the failsafe mode and a parking brake problem message. That may be your problem.

Stuart Jones

amagalla
09-11-2007, 03:03 AM
The "etc engine failsafe mode" can be produced be any number of problems. It is exactly what it sounds like; a "failsafe mode" (it's also refered to in the manual as a "limp home" mode). Basically, if the computer sees a sensor reading that it does not understand or is a danger to the system, it will put the car into "failsafe mode". I've seen it on my car when I ran the battery dead. The car would turn over, but never start. When I stopped cranking the engine, the system gave me the infamous "etc engine failsafe mode" and said that I needed to service the parking brake. I've also heard of it happening when the alternator goes out. The end result is you get to crawl home at 10 MPH.

Hope this helps.

Tony

jeverage1
08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a 03 lincoln and as of friday the same thing is happening to me. The car will run fine them all of a sudden it will stall and come up with that alarm. It seems to happen while under a load. I read where it ould be a coil pack. How can you tell it a col pack is bad?

shorod
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for searching for forum for similar issues to what you are experiencing!

A bad coil pack will often be associated with an engine misfire. Does the engine idle smoothly at stops and accelerate without any signs of stumbling? If so, you probably don't have a coil pack that's failing badly enough anyway to cause a ETC failsafe condition.

You should probably get the codes read to see if there are any codes other than the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) code.

Also, since you have a 2003, you may still have the original battery. The electrical systems of these cars are very sensitive, and even with a battery that still starts the engine strongly, you may still note some electrical gremlins that are due to the battery.

If you do still have the original battery, you may want to install a new battery before spending too much time looking into coils.

-Rod

jeverage1
08-04-2008, 05:51 PM
The battery is about 7 months old. It will only give that alarm when i am excelerating while driving. It will idle fine and I can excelerate while in park and the alarm will not occur. My wife has been putting 87 octane in the car will that make a difference. Ussually when she puts the low octane fuel in it the engine will knock a little.

shorod
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure the 87 octane would cause the CHT sensor to read hot, but it is not healthy for it. If the car is knocking, that means the air/fuel mixture is combusting before the cylinder is at top dead center, and it's doing is so badly that the engine can't adjust the timing enough to compensate for it. That can be pretty hard on the pistons and valves. Maybe this failsafe condition is a result of the continued knocking.

Is the risk of damaging such an expensive engine really worth the few dollars saved by getting the cheap fuel?

I suppose it could also be possible that what you are interpreting as knocking is actually a misfire due to a bad coil, which you've already read could contribute to the failsafe condition.

-Rod

trev0006
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Go to another mechanic.

Rardy
02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I just got my '03 lincoln ls v8 fixed the other day & looked up this error just to see what others had found. After receiving the "etc engine failsafe mode" error, i took it in & there were 3 bad coils. I went ahead & had them replace all the coils with all new plugs & boots as well (runs GREAT again!!). Also, I had to replace the battery a few weeks before this problem came about (FYI). I am in no way a "car guy", I actually do PC repair, but just hoped maybe this could help someone else!

Many of you offer great advice, keep up the great work!

momssts
09-26-2009, 05:35 PM
my 2003 LSV8 is being fixed at the local Lincoln dealer as I write this.
exact same problem and the solution is Fuel Throttle Valve, installed
$900 plus towing fee. The service manager stated this is a problem
due to ethnol in the gas...............and the part is on a 3 week back
order leading me to believe this is A REAL PROBLEM with the LS

the coils that have been mentioned in other postings are on recall and
repaired free of cost through Lincoln Service, so far I have had 6 replaced.

shorod
09-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Fuel Throttle Valve? Never heard of that. Are they referring to the fuel pressure sensor? The amount of fuel to the engine is controlled by pulse width modulation (PWM) of the fuel pump voltage, and the pulse width is derived from the fuel pressure as measured by the fuel pressure sensor.

Also, the LS requires premium fuel which should have low ethanol content, so I wouldn't expect ethanol to be the issue unless the car has received a consistent diet of non-premium fuel.

-Rod

momssts
09-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Fuel Throttle Valve? Never heard of that. Are they referring to the fuel pressure sensor? The amount of fuel to the engine is controlled by pulse width modulation (PWM) of the fuel pump voltage, and the pulse width is derived from the fuel pressure as measured by the fuel pressure sensor.

Also, the LS requires premium fuel which should have low ethanol content, so I wouldn't expect ethanol to be the issue unless the car has received a consistent diet of non-premium fuel.

-Rod

I was told by the mechanic at Lincoln, that it is a valve that opens and closes and with the ethonol (I use only less than 7%), it will cause it to build matter up and eventually break. I looked up fuel throttle valve on google, and
it explained a lot more than I can LOL. I understood that it is connected to the gas pedal...........I was pulling onto the hwy and it
just dropped to 2200 rpm and said "etc engine failsafe mode" and alternated to "service parking brake" I crept home at 25 mph.
I was most distressed by lincoln stating that the part was on a 3 week back order. We did get the part through an EMERGENCY order. It cost
$496 the rest of the cost installation.

shorod
09-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Interesting. Did if fix the problem?

I wonder if they were referring to the throttle body, which on your car is electronic. There is a travel sensor on the accelerator pedal that opens and closes the throttle body electrically. The throttle body meters the amount of air allowed to enter the intake, doesn't really have anything to do with the type of fuel used. I tried searching Google for "Fuel throttle valve" (in quotes) and received no exact matches.

I'm not suggesting that the dealer didn't perform a repair to fix your car, I just want to understand what they did so the next time someone has a similar issue to yours they have an idea what it might take to fix it. Did the dealership tell you what diagnostic codes were stored? Since you received the "failsafe" indicator there should have been stored codes.

-Rod

momssts
09-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Interesting. Did if fix the problem?

-Rod

Rod we pick up the car this afternoon. I will let you know, the entire bill break down of cost and parts..............later ginger

momssts
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Rod we pick up the car this afternoon. I will let you know, the entire bill break down of cost and parts..............later ginger

OK the car runs like new. here is what I have

1 - 3W4Z-9E926-AD Throttle Body $416.33
1 - FA-1679 Element Asy 23.79
1 - 6150 Injector Kit 23.00

Job Total Labor & Parts $740.12

special freight 30.00

Hope this helps..........ginger

shorod
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Okay, they replaced the throttle body, not a fuel throttle valve. That makes more sense.

Based on what others have posted in this thread, the parts the dealer replaced will probably fix the issue.

-Rod

momssts
09-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Okay, they replaced the throttle body, not a fuel throttle valve. That makes more sense.

Based on what others have posted in this thread, the parts the dealer replaced will probably fix the issue.

-Rod

I have put you in my favorites, it appears you have more knowledge than the lincoln dealer. I relayed to you what he told me, but bottom line, you had better information. Whats up with these COILS lincoln has? I now have had 8 replaced. Lincoln will only do 2 at a time and they have replaced 2 & 4 twice now in the past 18 months. Do you know why they go bad? I realize they are a recall and no charge to replace but very inconvient. my ls has 63,000 miles and a new transmission at 59,000
we are not pleased with this $52,000 car..............ginger

shorod
09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Ford has a pretty extensive Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on troubleshooting coils. They claim a lot of coils are being replaced when the coils aren't the real problem. I tend to agree with them. A lot of people see a code of "Misfire on cylinder #3" and automatically replace the coil without confirming the coil is bad or repairing the reason the coil failed to begin with -- root cause. In their defense, many owners would not want to pay for the diagnostic fee to determine root cause or go without their car for 3 or more days while the shop ran through all the troubleshooting. It's a bit of a catch-22 for the shop.

On the earlier LS's there was a problem with the valve cover gasket sets that would allow oil to seep into the spark plug wells and cause the coils to misfire through the oil to the head rather than through the spark plug to the head. I'm a bit unclear as to when the new gaskets were implemented, some say mid-2001 model year, other's say mid-2002, and I think I even saw someone that had evidence early model year 2003 vehicles were effected. Hopefully if when the dealer removed the coils they checked for evidence of oil on the coil boots.

These coils are also mounted directly on aluminum heads. The coils have VERY fine enamel-coated wire that is soldered to terminals. The aluminum heads can transfer a lot of heat to the coils and the very fine wire is, as you might imagine, quite fragile, even when potted. Even in 2003, the Coil on Plug (CoP) method was not common. The person who bought the Lincoln LS new also paid for modern technology, and it isn't unusual for newer technology to have a few bugs to work through.

The good news is your V8 is actually easier to work on the the V6 in the LS. If you are willing to tackle things like coils yourself, you can save a lot of money on both parts and labor if you have the time and tools, or have an acquaintance that works for beer.

-Rod

momssts
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Ford has a pretty extensive Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on troubleshooting coils. They claim a lot of coils are being replaced when the coils aren't the real problem. I tend to agree with them. A lot of people see a code of "Misfire on cylinder #3" and automatically replace the coil without confirming the coil is bad or repairing the reason the coil failed to begin with -- root cause. In their defense, many owners would not want to pay for the diagnostic fee to determine root cause or go without their car for 3 or more days while the shop ran through all the troubleshooting. It's a bit of a catch-22 for the shop.

On the earlier LS's there was a problem with the valve cover gasket sets that would allow oil to seep into the spark plug wells and cause the coils to misfire through the oil to the head rather than through the spark plug to the head. I'm a bit unclear as to when the new gaskets were implemented, some say mid-2001 model year, other's say mid-2002, and I think I even saw someone that had evidence early model year 2003 vehicles were effected. Hopefully if when the dealer removed the coils they checked for evidence of oil on the coil boots.

These coils are also mounted directly on aluminum heads. The coils have VERY fine enamel-coated wire that is soldered to terminals. The aluminum heads can transfer a lot of heat to the coils and the very fine wire is, as you might imagine, quite fragile, even when potted. Even in 2003, the Coil on Plug (CoP) method was not common. The person who bought the Lincoln LS new also paid for modern technology, and it isn't unusual for newer technology to have a few bugs to work through.

The good news is your V8 is actually easier to work on the the V6 in the LS. If you are willing to tackle things like coils yourself, you can save a lot of money on both parts and labor if you have the time and tools, or have an acquaintance that works for beer.

-Rod

we have had 8 coils replaced they are on recall...zero cost to us.
the only problems is lincoln will only replace 2 at a time so we were told
to just keep bringing it back. You are very knowledgable, I appreciate that. will keep in touch. ginger

joegr
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
The letter describing Ford's warranty extension on the V8 (V6 not covered) coils indicates that the problem is due to high voltage breakdown of the epoxy the coils are potted with. I can assure you that most of the coils replaced on these cars are indeed bad and that they failed for internal reasons only.

"only problems is lincoln will only replace 2 at a time "
This is not true. There is no such Ford or Lincoln policy. I have had more than two replaced at a time, and the letter makes no mention of a limit of two per time.
This must be some crazy policy of your local Lincoln dealer. I suggest you find a better dealer.

BTW, 03 throttle body failure is not unheard of. However you should be aware that sometimes failure of a coil (usually #4) can cause a false failure code for the throttle body.

Service managers almost never know anything about cars, that would explain the nonsense about a fuel valve.

"Even in 2003, the Coil on Plug (CoP) method was not common." That's funny. Ford was using them on almost all of their V8s by 1999. COP failures on the 4.6L engines are rare.

shorod
09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
"Even in 2003, the Coil on Plug (CoP) method was not common." That's funny. Ford was using them on almost all of their V8s by 1999. COP failures on the 4.6L engines are rare.

Sure, and the V8 SHO as early as 1996 had CoP, but the percentage of cars using CoP even in 2003 is small. Spark plug wires have been around for probably over 100 years and they still aren't perfect. My point is you can't expect advancements in technology without some learning curve. Often the high end vehicles become the testbeds for technology, you kind of need to expect some issues.

-Rod

momssts
10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Sure, and the V8 SHO as early as 1996 had CoP, but the percentage of cars using CoP even in 2003 is small. Spark plug wires have been around for probably over 100 years and they still aren't perfect. My point is you can't expect advancements in technology without some learning curve. Often the high end vehicles become the testbeds for technology, you kind of need to expect some issues.

-Rod
I'm back with the SAME PROBLEM..............etc engine failsafe mode,
the car is back in the shop this am...................
will report back with update....ginger

momssts
10-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm back with the SAME PROBLEM..............etc engine failsafe mode,
the car is back in the shop this am...................
will report back with update....ginger

ok up-date, 3 coils are out that means we have now replaced 11 in the past 14 months plus the gasket is leaking oil. Lincoln is doing all the repairs at no cost to us............and they said they had to get permission from Lincoln to replace 3 coils, they are only to do 2 at a time.
ginger

LincolnLSPaul
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
My 2002 V8 had multiple coils replaced until I repaired the oil leak. I have not had to replace a coil since. There was not enough oil dripping to see it on the ground. It just dripped enough to foul up the coils. I hope this helps.

momssts
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
My 2002 V8 had multiple coils replaced until I repaired the oil leak. I have not had to replace a coil since. There was not enough oil dripping to see it on the ground. It just dripped enough to foul up the coils. I hope this helps.

the oil leak was fixed the first time we had 2 coils go out, now 9 coils later they are replacing the gaskets again. I want Lincoln to fix all 8 coils at one time and then we should be able to start anew. the main mechanic said Lincoln will only do 2 at a time and had to get special permission to do 3 today. As I have been told that 2 at a time will lead to 2 more and so on and so on. One of the 3 they are replacing now was replaced two weeks ago. We have figured we have had 11 coils done in 14 months or LESS. thanks ginger

shorod
10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I certainly hope you are retaining all documentation on the issues you've been experiencing too. I think if I were in your shoes I'd ask the service manager to provide to you, in writing on their letterhead, his discussions with Lincoln and the constraints they've imposed, as well as documenting the recent work they've performed on your car with dates and vehicle mileage. You may need this in the near future when they no longer cover such repairs under warranty. Maybe after such a request, magically the Lincoln constraints will go away....

-Rod

momssts
10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I certainly hope you are retaining all documentation on the issues you've been experiencing too. I think if I were in your shoes I'd ask the service manager to provide to you, in writing on their letterhead, his discussions with Lincoln and the constraints they've imposed, as well as documenting the recent work they've performed on your car with dates and vehicle mileage. You may need this in the near future when they no longer cover such repairs under warranty. Maybe after such a request, magically the Lincoln constraints will go away....

-Rod

I contacted Lincoln Headquarters direct this am.......the person is forwarding my situation to the team (?) that handles problems that
appear to continue with no resolution. I have requested at that time
to have Lincoln take my car and re-do all NEW that pretains to the coils, leaking of oil etc. instead of make shift work. will keep you informed.
not to worry we have all the paperwork........thanks Rod ginger

shorod
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm actually quite impressed with Lincoln customer service. I had an odd vibration in my 2004 LS. The dealership looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. They acknowledged the vibration, and a few days later called me and asked if I would be able to bring my car back the following week. They were having a field service rep flying in from Detroit to go for a ride along and offer suggestions. I tried to impress the rep by showing him oscilloscope plots of noise spikes from microphones I had placed in various areas of the car. He impressed me when he said to determine if they were actually the source of the vibration or just noise, they would need to be spectrum analyzer plots. He was write, I gave him time domain plots, he requested frequency domain plots. Unfortunately, I don't have a portable spectrum analyzer. But from that point on, I knew this guy had some credentials.

Unfortunately, even though he also experienced the vibration and the dealership performed work the rep suggested, nothing fixed the vibration. But, none the less, they made an impressive effort to resolve my complaint.

-Rod

danielsatur
10-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi , I have noticed some water problems with early Jag & LS, both cars have the same DNA!

1) Was the cowl in front of windshield ever fixed?
The Computers,control modules, and electronics don't work in water.

Yep! Fail Safe mode,PCU faults,and misfiring is a symptom of water damage.
The water will roll onto the throttle body control module connector and short the signal from the APPS.

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27311

I noticed, that water would roll from the bad cowl,onto the engine, down the ignition buss lines, and sneak into the rear of the COP cover on the left bank of motor.
The misfires on cylinder 3 of a V6, and cylinder 4 of a V8.

WOW! The V6/V8 on both cars don't like that cowl, it suppose tobe a rain diverter, the Lincoln LS has a recall, and Jaguar has a quick fix.

Arjand
12-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Worked on a car with the same problem, changed spark plugs, throttle position sensor, still didn't work, appeared to be a problem with bad fuel, try running premium gas and see if it sorts itself out.

AD

kcobra
01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
I've got an odd vibration in my 04 ls also. It is worse when it's cold out and it starts above 45. No, it's not alignment or tire balance. That has been covered. I'm starting to think a bearing somewheres, maybe wheel bearing, or driveshaft out of balance (feels like that, my cobra had that before) or maybe a rear axle cv going. Not sure. If you think of anything, let me know.

I'm actually quite impressed with Lincoln customer service. I had an odd vibration in my 2004 LS. The dealership looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. They acknowledged the vibration, and a few days later called me and asked if I would be able to bring my car back the following week. They were having a field service rep flying in from Detroit to go for a ride along and offer suggestions. I tried to impress the rep by showing him oscilloscope plots of noise spikes from microphones I had placed in various areas of the car. He impressed me when he said to determine if they were actually the source of the vibration or just noise, they would need to be spectrum analyzer plots. He was write, I gave him time domain plots, he requested frequency domain plots. Unfortunately, I don't have a portable spectrum analyzer. But from that point on, I knew this guy had some credentials.

Unfortunately, even though he also experienced the vibration and the dealership performed work the rep suggested, nothing fixed the vibration. But, none the less, they made an impressive effort to resolve my complaint.

-Rod

shorod
01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
I would expect that if a bearing were so bad that it caused a vibration, it would also have a nasty noise associated with it. Do you notice the vibration in the steering wheel at all, or just in the seats? Have you tried carefully shifting to neutral when the vibration is present to see if that effects the vibration? You could try inspecting the driveshaft for any signs of missing weights.

-Rod

golgi4321
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow! New here. What an awesome thread to stumble across.

First, I'm having the ETC Engine Failsafe Mode happening on my '04 LS V8 right now. It's been 3 days now and started shortly after a fill up. Not sure if that comes into play...but worth mentioning.
Had a friend pull the codes today and they came up P2072, P2107, P2110 - all the codes have to do with "Throttle Actuator" issues. The first one is ice blockage, then the next is something with the processor, then the last references the PCM.
The ETC code only hits when traveling at low speeds or stopped. Over 20mph and it hasn't happened yet. We cleaned the throttle air flap thing...sorry can't think of the name...which was a little gummy and had some carbon build up. Put the air intake back together, drove home, and it's still doing it.
Because of the "ice blockage" code I've been putting some Heet in the tank thinking there's possible water in the fuel. Hasn't seemed to help.
Ran the diagnostic test on the scanner too and there were no misfires for about 10 minutes so I don't think I have the coil issue.

Funny this thread had the vibration comment for 04's. I have the same mystery vibration, mostly felt in the steering wheel. No alignment or balance fixes it, but it is somewhat intermittent. I have felt the vibration bad on the highway, threw it in neutral, restarted the car and the vibration was gone. Weird...

Anybody got ideas on the ETC Engine Failsafe Mode? Not killing me, but it's an inconvenient pain in the butt!

joegr
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
It could be the throttle body, but usually it is due to a defective COP (Coil on Plug). The #4 COP is usually the one to cause false throttle body codes.

golgi4321
02-18-2010, 10:11 PM
But if a coil goes bad, doesn't it stay bad? This is intermittent and always at low speeds or when stopped.

shorod
02-19-2010, 07:43 AM
It does sound like a coil issue, and I have yet to let a coil get so bad that it is continuous, they typically start out somewhat intermittent. If they go ignored long enough they get to the point where they misfire all the time, either because the plug fouls or the open circuit in the coil vibrates, heats, and cools enough that it gets worse.

When monitoring for misfires were you just looking for hard misfire codes or were you in the datastream mode monitoring all 8 cylinders at the same time? Some higher-end scan tools also have a component parameter mode where the scan tool can access individual cylinder misfire counts even if the counts are not high enough to trigger a diagnostic code. The component parameters are what I've had to rely on so far to find the intermittent faulty coils on my cars, I didn't let them get bad enough to trigger misfire codes.

-Rod

golgi4321
02-19-2010, 08:35 AM
First, thanks for the help guys!!

Yes, we were monitoring during the datastream mode, monitoring all of the engine parameters, and there weren't any misfires. We weren't looking for hard codes exactly. But based on the intermittent nature that you're talking about Rod, I guess we might not see an issue in the 5 or 10 minutes we were monitoring.

Is this a recall that would still cover my car? It's '04 with 75K. My Lincoln dealer closed, but I'll call a Ford dealer this morning.

cyates357
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I've got a 2005 LS V6........started throwing the ETC wrench light in Summer 2009 (bought used in Winter 2008).......very annoying......to try and accelerate to merge in traffic and have it lose power and go into "heat pump" mode......mind you not everytime.....just sometimes.

After all the research......I had read somewhere that Ethanol in fuel might be a bad thing for vehicles equipped with ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROLS......gums up the works......In ATLANTA metro all the fuel is 90/10 ETHANOL......So I've put a can of Fuel Injector/System Cleaner in the gas and now it seems to be running better......I've been trying to pop an ETC wrench by fast acceleration but so far it's running good......I'll throw another can in in April (that'll be on 3 month cycle) and see how that works.

ATLANTA has published that they're going to 85/15 ETHANOL soon......I'll be looking to drive to one of the outlying counties to buy fuel if that happens.

Maybe this will help some.......All of you LS experts what say you?

joegr
02-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Is this a recall that would still cover my car? It's '04 with 75K. My Lincoln dealer closed, but I'll call a Ford dealer this morning.
It's covered if the coil(s) fail the stress test. (For others that might be reading, the V6 is not covered, only the 2003-2005 V8.)

Some details on stress testing below...
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/s197_TSBs/04-16-1.pdf

joegr
02-19-2010, 12:25 PM
.....I had read somewhere that Ethanol in fuel might be a bad thing for vehicles equipped with ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROLS......gums up the works........All of you LS experts what say you?

I don't see why Ethanol would be a factor, it should never make it to the throttle plate anyway.

The gas is all 10% Ethanol where I am. I have two LSes (an 04 and an 06), so far I've had no ETC problems with either. ETC issues on the LS are often related to a failing/marginal COP (Coil-On-Plug). Usually #3 for the V6 or #4 for the V8.

golgi4321
02-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Well just got a call from the Ford dealer. The car did not fail the test at all for the coils (and you're right, it would have been covered). All of the hard codes were for the throttle body, so that's what they want to replace to fix it.

I just cleaned the butterfly valve last night but I guess the actuator must be going bad. Weird that it's only at low speeds though...

jcoon10
02-28-2010, 11:08 AM
ADMINISTRATOR PLEASE HELP!!!
I just had my 2003 lincoln ls v8 in the shop due to it overheating which caused it to enter the "etc powersafe mode". The dealership told me I needed a thermostat and a cooling fan. They also tried to have me pay them 1000 dollars for them to do it. So I bought the parts I needed and did it myself. The dealership had previously reset the powersafe code so I could drive it home. Now after replacing the thermostat and cooling fan, and putting in almost an entire bottle of coolant directly into the thermostat coolant cap.............I reconnected the battery and turned the car on. It immediately went into "etc powersafe" mode. Can you reset this yourself or do I have to go back to the dealership and pay them another 100 bucks to diagnose.

I've read the other posts -- I have had 4 coils replaced and the throttle body replaced as well previously.

Please help I am running out of money and patience.

danielsatur
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Make sure you do a proper coolant bleed procedure for both the block + heater core, or she will get hot again, see www.alldata.com (http://www.alldata.com) .

What triggers Fords ''Failsafe mode'' ?

Heat
Transmission fault
A lost signal on a drive-by-wire system

shorod
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
You do not need to go to the dealer to reset the code, you just need to fix the issue and then clear the OBD-2 codes. Many of the chain auto parts stores will pull the codes at no charge, but get the code and not the counter person's interpretation of the code. Search this forum for the code.

-Rod

Sheprock
10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
I just bought a 2003 LS and, within a month, had the issue with the Engine Failsafe Mode. I took it to my local Ford dealer, with whom I have had good service for many years. They told me the problem was water intrusion. They replaced the wiper cowl seal, all coils, and all plugs. They advised that Ford had extended the warranty covering this issue to 10 years/100,000 miles, so it didn't cost me a dime. This was about $1,100 worth of parts and service, so I was well pleased it was covered. It's running like a champ now.

shorod
10-10-2011, 09:33 AM
That's great news! Sounds like you have a good dealership there.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!