Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New wheel bearing assembly, 2 days later ,"Service engine/trac-off/abs" lights appear

msupelak
03-10-2007, 01:07 PM
(02 Alero 70,000miles)

I had my first wheel bearing assembly replaced wednesday.

Issues of note:
-typical "service engine soon/abs/trac-off" lights did NOT appear prior to its replacement -Just the obnoxious hum/grind
-Instead, all of the warnings lit up on friday - two days after the work.

Peculiar exchange with the shop:
-car went in on tuesday. $400 later. I leave with the car. But no change at all to the sound.
-I take it back wednesday. They do additional work free of charge ofcourse.
-Pick up car the second time, the hum/grind ofcourse gone.
-They tell me that the NEW part was faulty.

I suspect possibly A tech got his right and left mixed up, put the assembly on the wrong side. Then switched it back the 2nd time around.

IS THERE ANY REASON THE WARNING INDICATORS WOULD COME ON AFTER THE WORK WAS DONE?

IS THERE ANY REASON TO BELIEVE THAT EXCESSIVE PULLING AND REMOUNTING OF HUB ASSEMBLIES BACK AND FORTH WOULD HELP CAUSE THE LIGHTS TO COME ON - IF THE NEW ASSEMBLY WAS PUT ON THE WRONG SIDE INITIALLY?

IS THERE REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE ASSEMBLY AND/OR MORE SPECIFICALLY THE ASSOCIATED SENSORS WERE NOT WIRED IN ADEQUATELY WHEN REPLACED?

ANY OTHER ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

GTP Dad
03-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Because of the sensativity of these components it is possible that the guy that changed it the second time damaged the sensor when he pulled it and put it on the other side. The trac/abs/service engine light means that there is an issue. I would get the computer scanned again with an abs capable scanner and see what is going on. I suggest that you take it back to the place that changed it twice already. They owe you a real repair.

msupelak
03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
So, I took it back today. They tell me that I must've hit something that jumped up in my tire wheel and ripped both wires out of the other (not new) wheel bearing assembly. They went ahead and tricked their parts supplier into giving me a new one for free - siting warranty problems from the one that was just put on. So at this point I have two new front bearing assemblies.

The problem is, I am told, the clip that holds the wires in - because it was loose, swung and cut the wheel axle boot and I am losing grease.

Thus they suggested that in no more than two to three weeks I should have my axle boot replaced. Per them, this is a $275 fix. I see that the boot should only run me $50+/-, so as I am learning after the fact, they must be including a new CV Joint.

The CV Joint looks like it is not a rubber part that could've been cut.

COULD I REPLACE THE BOOT WITHOUT REPLACING THE JOINT?

IS IT ADVISABLE OR SHOULD I EXPECT PROBLEMS IF I DO SO?

HOW WOULD I CONFIRM THAT THE JOINT IS OKAY?

03-17-2007, 10:30 PM
rock auto .com lists cv 1/2 shaft ass. at 55-60$ and boots at 10-15$. that says to me that the boots can be replaced. (i would caution you to watch your repair shop close). sounds like the old cover my ass and pass the buck type of repair shop. i bought my son a 03 alero in mar last year and last july the car was giving trac off and abs lights,i think it must of had moisture in the wire. so no more lights in the last 8 or 9 months.

razial22
04-07-2007, 08:30 AM
this honestly sounds alittle odd to me, but i'm not the 1 working on ur car so i really can't say. all those warning lights were on b/c ur wheel speed sensor went bad. u might be right and maybe they replaced the wrong 1, but i think it more likely that the "new" part was indeed faulty as i've replaced them many times on my own 2000 alero 3.4. they are being honest when they say u might have hit a pot hole, or taken a speed bump to fast and knock the wire loose, but sounds alittle fishy to me about it "cutting" the boot. the boots are invincable but they are pretty sturdy, so unless it hit the boot at just right angle and stayed there it shouldn't have torn the boot so soon. on a side note, to honest about it, the bearings/ cv axles are pretty easy to change out in this car as long as ur careful and don't damage the new axel. the bearings require just the right amount of torgue or you may end up tightening them to much and ruining the part.

good luck to you

Add your comment to this topic!