Parking Brake Spring Removal


medicmandan
03-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm trying to replace my rear shoes today and can not get the spring to lift off of the parking brake adjuster. Is there a trick to this? The parking brake is off. I can stetch the knub on the end of the cable but can't get it to lilft out of that groove. I've spent an hour trying to get it off. Thought I'd be done with the whole project by now.

medicmandan
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I finally got it off by accident and now I can't get it back on. I bought a drum brake tool set from the parts store today but can't seem to find a tool in there that would assist in putting it back on. I am also having a hell of a time getting the lower return spring reattached.

Once this is done I don't think I'll do my own drum brakes again.

medicmandan
03-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I bent the spring tool beyond use but I finally got the lower return springs back on. I still can't get the parking brake line reattached.

Any suggestions?

shorod
03-09-2007, 06:37 PM
You don't mention what year your Taurus is, so I'm not sure what setup you have.

If this is the style with the spring that "shields" the parking brake cable between the backing plate and the lead termination, one trick is to use a dull diagonal cutters to hold the spring back and a needle nose pliers or similar to hold the termination end.

While holding the end, use the diagonal cutters to pull the spring back, away from the end. Then, squeeze the diagonal cutters gently (yet firm enough to not slip on the cable). This should give you enough free cable to slip over the adjusting arm and be on your way.

-Rod

medicmandan
03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
It's a 99 SE. I think that will work for my setup. I spent longer today messing with the parking brake cable than I did on everything else.

One the opposite side I didn't even remove the cable. I took everything else apart, remounted the parking brake adjuster to the new shoe and reinstalled it. Was done with the second side in 30 minutes.

medicmandan
03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I modified that a bit and made it work. I used a pair of diagnol cutters up against the termination and used a flat head screwdriver to push the spring back. Popped right on.

Now I just need the drums machined and new brakes all around. Discs are definitely easier. Both sides of that took me 90 minutes including new rotors, calipers, pads and bleeding them.

shorod
03-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear you were able to make it work!

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!