Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 mazda protege wont start

stormy1226
03-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a mazda protege 1.5L SOHC engine that overheated. I replaced the head gasket and had the head milled. The timing is correct and compression is good. The engine turns over but wont start. I got the car started with starting fluid. I replaced the fuel pump. I disconnected the rail from the block and turned over the car and I got a good spray from the injectors. I have good spark. Could the computer be bad? I am out of ideas. Please help.

Thanks

mazdatech177
03-08-2007, 02:00 PM
if it starts with starting fluid but not without, it sounds like a lack of fuel situation. make sure you dont have the fuel inlet/outlet lines mixed up on the fuel rail. the one coming off the fuel filter at the firewall is your inlet line

Doug Tatham
03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Make sure that you put the crank postion sensor ring on in the right direction. I put mine on facing in instead of out following a timing belt change and had the same symptoms. It sends an incorrect position to the computer and you don't get the fuel in the cylinders at the right time. Starting spray will make it kick over since it isn't going in through the injectors. The position sensor ring has a painted spot on it and is a flat ring that looks like a gear with a tooth chipped out.

Add your comment to this topic!