97 Camaro Wipers Stuck Up (snobs) so here's what I did...

runm-n-rekm
03-07-2007, 01:26 AM
My 97 Camaro wipers were working just fine - until it rained. (?) (is that like it ran great until I started it?) Anyway, I got home after driving through a downpour and shut the wipers off - and they popped into the up position. Something about one of the chip sets in the wiper motor going bad I think. So I ebayed up a new wiper motor then started researching the swap. Annoying having the wipers stuck up, Even more annoying is I really didn't want to take the time to put the new part in - haven't had time to work on it. I had been turning on the wipers then popping the fuse out when they were down, (extremely unsafe) then, that gave me an idea. So, here is what I did as a "temp" quick fix. I took a fuse and blew it with a battery charger and soldered a couple of wires on to it. I put that fuse in the normal wiper socket. I put an inline fuse on one of the wires and I attached a rocker switch on the leads and installed it on the underdash panel below the steering wheel. There were already a few rocker switches installed on the panel for the neons so it didn't bother me too much to remove it and drill in another switch. The wires from the fuse were easy to feed inside the fusebox to the under dash and to the panel. Now I can just on or off the main rocker and use the wipers almost normally, just have to kill the power when they are down. Yes it is kind of a rigged solution, but taking the whole wiper assemby apart seemed worse. I know, purists will hate it. So, If your a purist, and want to come and help me put the new motor in and do it right - I'll supply the beer! Then I'll have an extra rocker switch port...... So the real question will then be.... What am I going to hook the unused switch to? I know you all can think up some good ideas for the switch, so post your answers please! :-) Sarcastic remarks are encouraged! :rofl: Seriously though, I hope my quick fix idea helps. jj

cuda_dude
03-07-2007, 01:31 AM
radar detector

ikeyballz
03-07-2007, 05:21 AM
if i recall.. if you pull the key out right as its on the down position it'll do the same thing.. cuz you can turn off your wipers in the up position..

runm-n-rekm
03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Cuda_Dude, I once had a radar detector, It made me drive like an idiot! And since it was in a beat up 70's Toyota Corona, I probably was (is, are, was, were) an idiot! In the years since, I've been pulled over for driving suspiciously slow. Maybe I could make that extra switch a hyperspace button! That I could really use.
You are right Ikeyballz about stopping the wipers down when off, but the best I could do when running is have it on the slowest delay mist, and have the wipers screech across dry windshield every 10 seconds.
side note - I love my Camaro! Have been saving a little $ and almost have this one paid off. Hope to add another one to the driveway this summer. A friend has a sweet 97 and may be selling it off when she goes for a new car. I keep reminding her - let me have first dibs! But I don't understand why anyone would pay 20 grand for a new kia. - jj

ikeyballz
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
lol, i see cant turn it off at all..that sucks ass. :P 20K for a new kia.. lmao. you can get a toyota echo for < 10K.. or used to be able to

giddyup50
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Dude......I think the time you spent on the temp. fix, you could of just replaced the wiper motor.

stepho
03-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Cuda_Dude, I once had a radar detector, It made me drive like an idiot! And since it was in a beat up 70's Toyota Corona, I probably was (is, are, was, were) an idiot! In the years since, I've been pulled over for driving suspiciously slow. Maybe I could make that extra switch a hyperspace button! That I could really use.
You are right Ikeyballz about stopping the wipers down when off, but the best I could do when running is have it on the slowest delay mist, and have the wipers screech across dry windshield every 10 seconds.
side note - I love my Camaro! Have been saving a little $ and almost have this one paid off. Hope to add another one to the driveway this summer. A friend has a sweet 97 and may be selling it off when she goes for a new car. I keep reminding her - let me have first dibs! But I don't understand why anyone would pay 20 grand for a new kia. - jj

She is selling her Camaro to buy a Kia!?!?! What the crap! From now on women are not allowed to own Camaros (except SG and the other camaro chicks around here).

Savage Messiah
03-08-2007, 08:28 AM
here's what you do - take the switches for the neons and drastically overpower them so the bulbs explode.

runm-n-rekm
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Ikeyballz - kias arent THAT bad, (lol cough) I usually rent one for out of town trips... they bounce off curbs rather nicely. You just have to drink a lot of cola so you can p*ss in the tank to keep them full.
Giddyup50 - you are correct sir. Savage - good idea on the neons, they were there when I bought it, I don't use them. Blowing them might be a waste though - I could install them around the toily for night time use!
Yee Haaa! I scored a gooood full time job yesterday! = I will be able to hire someone who's good to do my auto repairs instead of me wanking stuff up. It may not pay enough to put me in line for a concept - but a this century V-8 maybe! jj

goldz28
03-08-2007, 11:36 AM
The only thing I can say is pull the fuse when the car is off and you can get the wipers to go down when you shut the car off. If its raining well.

Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!