Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buying a Jag X-type and Subaru comparisons

RightWingZionist
03-04-2007, 04:37 AM
My CD wa-mu acount will be open in may and I want to spend around 15-18G on a new/newish car.
I currently own a 95 accord v6 which I love but has 120k miles on it and it guzzles gas, 16mpg altough I always try to let it change gears at 2.5-3k rpm.
My prefrences are 1. Reliablity 2. Comfort 3. Stick-shift 4. AWD 5. decent gas mileage -not in any order.
I don't care about looks, I care about the Engineering behind the car.
I do valet parking and I honestly haven't gotten my hands on Subarus much. Only one was a WRX 5 speed. It was comfortable enough but I only drove it for a few minutes or less. The clutch was nice but the stick felt like it was im mudd (mushy). I drove an X-type 2.5 and I love it. It has to be the sweetest sounded engine I heard next to a mazda rotary. It was an automatic though, but still a little faster than my car.
I found one for $14,800 w. 25k miles here

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&default_sort=make_modelASC&dealer_id=100006208&model3=LEGACY&end_year=2007&address=11204&make2=LEXUS&start_year=2002&fuel=&certified=&keywordsrep=&car_id=217031204&search_type=both&max_mileage=45000&body_code=0&drive=All+wheel+drive&min_price=10000&engine=&distance=50&transmission=&make=JAG&model2=&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=mileageASC&num_records=100&ref=srl&car_year=2004&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=21&max_price=20000&advanced=y&make3=SUB&model=&only_price=1&color=&ref=srl#vdptop
I saw similar automatics on the same site for a few thousand more.
Probably Jag buyers are too good for silly old standards :p

I'm wondering if it is reliable and what your experiences are. I checked
autos.msn.com and carsurvey.org. msn the 02-04 models as problem free. carsurvey.org I see most people have problems with the 3.0 litre which I dont want at all. As far as subarus, the reliability reviews are a also mostly good for the manuals non-turbo.
Do you guys think it is just better to buy a new subaru impreza?

To be clear, on the face of it, I love the X-type, I just don't know how reliable it is, but I do know the Duratec 2.5 V6 is one of the 10 top engines.

I appreciate your inputs and opinions. Thank You!

Oldengineer
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
My first Jag was a 03 2.5 X-Type automatic. The car had a number of minor issues the first 20K miles I owned it, but nothing debilitating. The dealer took care of them properly with not fuss. The second 20K miles, the car was bulletproof. I liked the car so much, I swapped it for an 06 3.0 X. This car has had no issues in 13K miles so far. I agree with you, the 2.5 runs like a gas turbine - just keeps on pulling. Its big brother, the 3.0, runs like a gas turbine with an attitude, but, it drinks a lot of 93 octane. My advice to you - pick up a certified X from a dealer with some decent warranty, and, enjoy.

Regards:
Oldengineer

RightWingZionist
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks! The 2.5 needs 87 or 89?

Oldengineer
03-09-2007, 11:41 PM
The 2.5 is high compression. It needs 91 octane minimum for peak performance.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Add your comment to this topic!