Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problems. Ignition switch?

GirlBear
03-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I turn the key all the way nothing. Just a click behind the stereo cluster. I have my brother tow me to my parents. WE put a lil pressure on the tow line. The Blazer nudges forward a tad. I get in to put the blazer in Neutral, starts right up. Go about my day. Come home, turn it off. I wait a sec, give it a twist to see if the earlier non start was a fluke. IT WONT START AGAIN> WTF. In the past 4 months Water pump master cylinder balljoints twice alternator battery wiper motor new mirrors(motors kaput). Still need to run down an oil leak. This blazer is killing me!! Since Ive had it 2yrs Ive put $3000+ in to it . Not 1 upgrade. But I love her, lol. So ne whoo can ne 1 help me with this new starting or not starting problem? Thank in advance:)

old_master
03-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Sounds like the only thing you did was move the neutral safety switch when you moved the shifter to neutral. The switch is on the transmission where the shift linkage connects. The starter circuit goes through the switch. Must be in neutral or park to allow current to the starter solenoid on the starter. Check the connector at the switch for corrosion or a loose connection. Back up light circuit also goes through the switch so there will probably be 4 wires in the connector. Hope this helps.

GirlBear
03-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Sounds like the only thing you did was move the neutral safety switch when you moved the shifter to neutral. The switch is on the transmission where the shift linkage connects. The starter circuit goes through the switch. Must be in neutral or park to allow current to the starter solenoid on the starter. Check the connector at the switch for corrosion or a loose connection. Back up light circuit also goes through the switch so there will probably be 4 wires in the connector. Hope this helps.

do these 4 wires pass near the rightside wheel well along side the engine. I ask because there are 4 unprotected wires running down that route i noticed and most of them look damaged or close to it. was gonna wrap'em up but more good intentions than time lately.

blazee
03-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Title fixed. Please review the sticky (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=461174) in the main forum for more info about properly posting threads.

old_master
03-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I suppose it's possible that they're on the passenger side, but it's more likely they're on the driver side, (that's where the neutral switch is located). Best way to tell for sure is crawl under there and locate the switch, then follow the harness, see if it goes to the wires you're referring to.

GirlBear
03-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I suppose it's possible that they're on the passenger side, but it's more likely they're on the driver side, (that's where the neutral switch is located). Best way to tell for sure is crawl under there and locate the switch, then follow the harness, see if it goes to the wires you're referring to.

thnx! turned out 2b neg cable on starter was torn.

old_master
03-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Glad you found it and got her goin'.

Add your comment to this topic!