Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no luck. hapless. overheating

spunout36
03-03-2007, 05:25 PM
:banghead: Can't take it anymore. 95 Intrepid that after new radiator is overheating. After temp. gets above halfway, the bottle overflows. New thermostat, and it is not in upside-down. Bottom radiator hose is cool to the touch, so the coolant is not circulating. Don't know how to bleed system. if that's not it...water pump?

sassee
03-22-2007, 08:53 AM
When engine is cool, take the radiator cap off and crank the car. after it warms up, you should see a lot of water movemnet thru the radiator. If no water is moving, bad water pump. If water is moving, probably air in system. There is a small bleed valve on the thermostat housing. With engine warmed up, loosen the valve slightly until you hear air coming out or have water squirting thru. When no more air comes out, you're done. you may have to add more water and repeat the process

Dawezilla
05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Any luck with this. I have a similar problem. I think it may be air in the system as the overheating is only on occasion. When it happens I can dissipate some heat by turning on the internal heater.

I may try the air bleed too.

:banghead:

teakstone
05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
The engine will overheat for various problems.

If it over heats in stop and go traffic only, then you may have a problem with rad fans not coming on. Check the 40 amp (green) fuse in the fuse/relay box inside the engine comparment over the driverside wheel well. You may also want to swap relays and see if that solves the problem. All the relays in the box are identical.

If coolant is not circulation it is a blockage possible a closed thermostat, or the pump is not pushing the coolant.

If you do get constant heat from the heater vents, the pump is working.

Please post the rix so that we can all learn from this.

Dawezilla
05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
The engine will overheat for various problems.

If it over heats in stop and go traffic only, then you may have a problem with rad fans not coming on. Check the 40 amp (green) fuse in the fuse/relay box inside the engine comparment over the driverside wheel well. You may also want to swap relays and see if that solves the problem. All the relays in the box are identical.

If coolant is not circulation it is a blockage possible a closed thermostat, or the pump is not pushing the coolant.

If you do get constant heat from the heater vents, the pump is working.

Please post the rix so that we can all learn from this.

I noticed that the coolent was a little low. I added some coolent (not much) to the resevoir and the occasional overheat is now gone. I suspect it was somm air in the system or a blockage that is now gone.

The heat in car was always fine so the pump was working correctly...

I will watch the coolent levels for a while. NO dripping in driveway, but may be head gasket. No white smoke at all in exhaust.

spunout36
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
oh, sorry. 4got about this. the problem was a bad radiator cap..sucking in air

Add your comment to this topic!