Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

73 Monte Carlo: sticky needle valve

chevydude76
03-03-2007, 10:59 AM
1973 Chevrolet MONTE CARLO,454 Cubic Inches,Turbo 400 Trans,Limited Slip Rear-end & FACTORY TACH and Gauges. I don't know where to start on this car,but lets look at the Wheels & Caps. AMERICAN RACING!!!!! That just about sums it up. I am the third owner. IT DOES NOT HAVE: Vinyl Roof,A/C,Tilt,Cruise,Power Windows, Power Door Locks or Power Seats. Who needs that stuff anyway?? The Tires are Big O, SXP Super Sport size P235/60R14 and they are in good shape with lots of rubber left to burn. . I think the left front fender has been replaced.There is a hole behind the Passenger Seat that a small Jack Rabbit could escape through. There is also some rust in the floor of the trunk. It has the original Jack,Base and Lug Wrench. None of the glass is broken. The car had been sitting a coupla years when I bought it. I had to clean out the gas tank and fuel lines. It does run & drive. The needle valve in the carb has been sticking closed lately. The interior is a blue velvet with a diamond(?) pattern, and not very attractive. Two sets of Valve Covers. One set is ERSON, and the other set is a real heavy set of MOROSOs.
How do I fix/replace the needle valve? Or should I just buy a new carb?

maxwedge
03-03-2007, 11:48 AM
If you are talking about the carb needle and seat you can get an overhaul kit and do it yourself, if unfamilair with carb work, get a book on the particular carb or have it done.

chevydude76
03-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I just bought this car yesterday. This is what the previous owner had to say: I've driven it around the property by filling the carb manually. When the gas line is off the carb, the fuel pump moves plenty of gas. The carb does not accept it.
:banghead: Sorry should have included this in the first message.

maxwedge
03-03-2007, 11:58 AM
There is also a filter in the fuel inlet fitting on the carb, take a look it may be clogged not letting fuel in the carb.

'97ventureowner
03-04-2007, 12:21 AM
1973 Chevrolet MONTE CARLO,454 Cubic Inches,The Tires are Big O, SXP Super Sport size P235/60R14 and they are in good shape with lots of rubber left to burn.
14" tires on a '73? I've never seen a '73 to '77 Monte with 14" tires. All the ones I've seen including my '76 had 15" tires. How does the car ride/handle with the 14s? I would think you'd get a better ride with the 15s.

Add your comment to this topic!