Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speedometer and all gauges out on dash on my 1991 Riviera

snow12
03-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to fix this myself. I got the car from a friend recently and he told me about the problem. he told me he took the electronic dash out and tested it in another Riviera and it worked fine but in his car it's not coming on. I was wondering where would the fuse box be to check and see if it's the fuses? Or any other suggestions to get this fixed because I don't want to be driving not knowing how fast or how hot this car is getting, or running out of gas. Thanks Love the Forums!:banghead:

Ed S
09-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I have a 1990 Riviera with the same problem. Did you ever figure out your dash problem. I just bought mine and it will come on for a couple of seconds and then go off for a long time. Seems to be no rime or reason to when it comes on.

wackie
05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I also have a 90 Riv thats guages go in and out intermittantly and constantly. Nothing happens or changes with da rest of the cars computer system during this time tho. If cruise control is set, it wont stop, slowdown or anything.

jcc3inc
05-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I have a '91 Reatta and a '93 Riv; both have the same inst panel. On my '91 I have replaced the cluster (2) times. I have gotten replacements from Ebay and another person. So far as I know my problem has always been in the bad inst cluster itself. I tried removing the cluster and spraying the connector with contact cleaner, but that didn't solve the problem!

You may need a replacement. Here's one I saw recently on Ebay:
Speedometer Sales and Service, also shown as digital-dash-solutions in Dayville, CT.

Regards,
Jack C.

wackie
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Hello,

I have a '91 Reatta and a '93 Riv; both have the same inst panel. On my '91 I have replaced the cluster (2) times. I have gotten replacements from Ebay and another person. So far as I know my problem has always been in the bad inst cluster itself. I tried removing the cluster and spraying the connector with contact cleaner, but that didn't solve the problem!

You may need a replacement. Here's one I saw recently on Ebay:
Speedometer Sales and Service, also shown as digital-dash-solutions in Dayville, CT.

Regards,
Jack C.

I dont believe thats the case. I bought it w this condition and it came with 2 extra clusters that the previous owner had purchased from ebay. I have also put one that i no worked out of my 90riv that i had rolled. That one wouldnt even come on. There are problems w da instrument cluster, this is the 4th riv ive owned now and soon to have a 5th. I work on these cars myself and believe that i am more versed on these cars than 80% of the owners/mechanics out there, but still have numerous issuses w the perplexed electrical systems they have.

Add your comment to this topic!