Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 brake caliper bolts wont come off

Steven_Folchi
03-02-2007, 08:39 AM
ok, some dumbass at the tire shop fucking crosstreaded my lug stud. it eventually just broke of while i was try to take it off to put a new one in. it just fell out the back. i tried to see if the new one would fit in that way too, but no. so i tried to take off the rotor. the prob is the bolts holding the brakes on, dont want to budge. i've tried myself, my friends, my dad, even my friend's uncle's mechanics tools. they said i might have to take a fucking torch to it to get it off. has anyone else encoutered this prob? if so, how did u fix it?

Cusser
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
I haven't had any trouble loosening the caliper bolts on my '88 B2200 using normal hand tools. But I do live in Arizona, and we don't have rust here.

papiichuulo
04-28-2007, 12:15 AM
You said you used mechanic's tools, I assume there was a stout impact wrench in there? If they didn't come off with a good impact (like an ingersoll rand - 600 ft lbs. reverse torque), then you will probably have to heat them up pretty good with a torch and go at it again while its still hot. Good Luck.

Cusser
04-28-2007, 04:11 PM
No, I didn't use an impact wrench, but I do have a $60 electric one. I used a sawed-off metric allen wrench in a metric socket with a 3/8 ratchet (or is it wratchet?). If I was home now I could look up what size allen wrench that was.

Add your comment to this topic!