Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Park avenue questions

LotuS87
03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
My car... 1996 Park Avenue

My Questions:

I am thinking of puting some money into my car in terms of making it look badass. Ive seen alot of custom park ave's online and the few things I am thinking of doing I am looking for some info on how hard they are to do, if I can do them myself or if i need to have someone do them, or if they are even possible lol.

1996 was the last year of the C body style, and unfortunately 1996 was the least badass looking of the 91-96 bodys in terms of chrome on rocker panels and stuff. right now the car is a ugly grayish color with stock everything.

Heres what I was thinking.

New paint job (dark blue probably)
tinted windows
Portholes 3x per side
chrome rocker panels like the 91 style
new wheels(chrome 16 inch wheels)

Now heres where the real questions start... How much does a paint job go for on a good day? and anyone tinted their windows before? The portholes I found on ebay and a set of 6 costs like 100 bucks... and I found a place that would send me chrome rocke rpanel kit for 91 PA for $120. How hard would it be to put chrome rocker panels on?(i have no idea) and with new wheels, what size wheel do I need? I dont know anything what the 16x7 or 16x8 mean could use some quick teaching... But those are my questions, if you know anything please post and enlighten me :)

northstar1958
03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Lotu:

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. You can get pre-cut window tint online, easy install, need lots of patience, getting it on wrinkle free is the trick, but if its not perfect, it will still look good. I've installed the chrome/stainless rocker trim before. Pretty straight forward, start with a clean surface, (wax free/grease free)....Its pretty thin stuff, same story as the window tint...get it on staight and wrinkle free. As for the new paint, are you changing colors? if so, that involves alot more work, door jams/underside trunk/hood/etc...and adds to the price. You'll want a basecoat/clearcoat urethane paint...thats whats on the vehicle now....lots of different paints out there so becareful of the guys who promise to shoot you car for 400 dollars. A basic body shop paint job (scuff and shoot) usually starts at 2500 dollars and goes up from there.

I do my own painting so i know whats involved, Its labor intense....but, material wise....its not that bad....Good luck with your project.

Northstar

wrightz28
03-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Wheels, the right set of wheel can make the ugliest car look good (or as good as it ever will) :icon16:

Bassasasin
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Show your pix Northstar!!!!

Bass

northstar1958
03-01-2007, 09:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/northstar1958/mar01005.jpg%5B/IMG%5DBass:

Not really buick related, but this was my first paint job 4 or 5 years ago. After doing all the body work i took it around to area body shops for paint quotes....lowest quote i got was 3800 dollars....this is a tiny car without a roof. Remember...i had all the body work done, all they had to do was spray it....I refused to pay anybody that kind of money for a paint job, so i took the next six months and learned how to paint. I've painted atleast 12 vehicles since then. I usually do one or two a year.....great hobby, and its tons of fun....if i can figure out how to post it...i'll show you my latest project....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/northstar1958/mar01005.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/757711

Bassasasin
03-02-2007, 07:24 AM
I was thinking of THIS (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/northstar1958/buick/jul0905-1.jpg) one.. actually.

LotUs87 will have to imagine it blue..

LotuS87
03-02-2007, 08:50 AM
So paint jobs are very very expensive. and if you change colors you need a new car title... sounds like to much work and alot of money unless i know someone which i might actually >:) goto make phone call though see if he could get me a deal.

As for wheels.... what do i need to look for when im looking online, i dont know how to read wheel sizes like 16x7 or 16x7.5 or anything like that. And how big of rims fit under a PA without needing a lift?

Ill look into the tint online but still might have it done profesionally once i find out how much it costs i can make better decision hehe

Loekee75
03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
LotuS87,
about the portholes, where on ebay were you looking? I got mine off ebay for 30 bucks, came out to 40 for shipping. You can see them at my CarDomain link if you'd like, just to give you an idea of what they look like.

LotuS87
03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I duno i saw them about a week ago on ebay, i think the ones i saw were $99 or something. so if u know best place to get em that would be apreciated

Bassasasin
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Do you mean somthing like HERE. (http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/store/Buick-Lacrosse_product_120.html)?

Not sure but often they are called fender vents..

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!