Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supercharger rebuild

grijsneus
03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi, can anyone tell me which "special" tools are needed to rebuild the supercharger on my '97 riv? I'm wondering if I should tackle this myself using a rebuild kit or just cough up the xtra $$ and have it done for me. I am completely new to working on superchargers so any additional info on this subject is very welcome indeed.

96riviera18
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
what makes you think you need a rebuild? just curious.
a coupler is easy to replace and your probably needs a new one if it has never been replaced. a "rebuild" usualy means new bearings and seals. you need a hydrolic press to install the bearings and the kit with all the parts (grease,2 bearings, seal, etc.). if your rotors are broken or damaged then you need a new s/c which are not that expensive new or used (could probably pick one up for under 400). is this something you can do?
i have not seen too many M90's that needed a rebuild. many with 200k miles are only on their 2nd coupler and factory otherwise. its a good time to change out the oil when you do the coupler. ONLY use GM supercharger oil. it takes 2 bottles ~$7 each. zzperformance.com has replacement parts or rebuilds if you need them.

wafrederick
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
GM does not make parts for the supercharger and you have to replace the whole thing.My father tried it once and the dealer said no replacement parts are not made.

96riviera18
03-01-2007, 07:47 PM
correct the dealer does not have any parts. their fix is just replace the whole thing for way too much money. however EVERY part can be bought seperatly online. ebay always has 1-2 used M90 charges for sale. and as i said before places like zzp, intense, w-body, etc. all have parts. (couplers, oil, seals, housings, snouts, pullies, bearings, grease.)

grijsneus
03-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the response guys.
As said I've never worked on a supercharger before. Why rebuild? The engine won't run properly with the superchargerbelt in place. Without it no prob. Changed the idler and tensioner pulley, no difference. Again, not an expert but the turning the pulley on the sc feels just too heavy,sluggish for something that should spin easily. Which is why I am thinking the bearings need to be replaced. also sc oil seems ok from what I've read in other threads.
Also I wil dismantle the engine down to the cylinderheads (150K mls, starting to take too much oil for my comfort + traces of water!!) so the supercharger has to come off anyway. If ever this seems the time to work on it. I really dont want to have the whole lot reassembled only to find out that I should have gone just one more step than i did. I like working on cars, but there are limits......
I did find several people/companies offering new or rebuilt M90's under $500 with a core exchange, a complete rebuild kit however, including ball and needle bearings is available for less than $150.
Am I right? Do I really need more than work limited to the snout?

96riviera18
03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
the s/c pulley should not spin freely. it has some resistance b/c the rotor blades do touch. but you are right, you will have it off and apart why not just replace it and not worry about it later.

Add your comment to this topic!