Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 PA upper intake manifold question

sleo33
02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey All,
I'm new to the site, so pls forgive if this info has been previuosly addressed. My '93 PA w/ series I 3.8 has minor coolant leak. After searching web found mucho info on problem thermoplastic UIM. Apparently my leak is unrelated to this 'cause the UIM looks fine with no deformations that would cause leak...after more research, it appears that the later 3.8's had this problem - not 93's? At any rate, I now have put the UIM back in place and attempted to restart vehicle. She fired up, idled rough for 15 secs. then stalled. I noted that the throttle body is not properly sealed to the UIM. I'm having some difficulty with the lower rear stud on UIM. Seems to "bottom out" before allowing the throttle body to seat fully. This leaves a slight gap. Would this lack of a good seal cause the rough idle? Are there other things I should check?
Thanks all. :banghead:

Bassasasin
02-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Is it possible during removal the stud worked its way out and now will not tighten..

And Yes.. of course.. a gap leak will cause problems you discribe.

sleo33
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks Bassslayer...come to think of it, I probably did not attach throttle cable bracket behind the problem stud, therefore not taking up that thickness and creating the gap. I'll check it out and let ya know.
Thanks a million.
Scott

sleo33
02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Ahh, it just gets better. After sealing up the throttle body to the UIM, now she won't even start! Cranks just a bit, but wont spin... like its locked up. Battery is strong. Any ideas. I had the fuel injector rail pulled and changed one injector (made sure it was correct). What could be causing a no start? Everything worked fine before.

Add your comment to this topic!