Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Pressure Light & Beeping Sound...

Stinff
02-26-2007, 11:05 PM
For some reason lately my 1994 VW Jetta GL, has decided its time to annoy me while I'm driving. After the car really heats up, or I've been driving for a bit, the "Oil Pressure" light comes on, and makes an annoying beeping sound.

What can I do to stop the beeping sound? Can I break something? My oil is full, and there's no leaks.

Please any suggestions, hints, tips, fixes would be great.... Thanks very much.

Ottawa Jetta Guy!

Doug Tatham
02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
NEVER IGNORE AN OIL PRESSURE WARNING ALARM!!!
You most likely have either bad oil sensors, though it's unusual for both to go bad at the same time, or an internal oil leak such as bad main or rod bearings. Clearence becomes excessive and you loose the needed film of oil. If the light and alarm only go on when the rpm's are greater than 2000 it's probalby the sensor on the oil filter connector. New sensor on line costs $5.00. Get an oil pressure gage and connect it in place of the sensor on the cylinder head. Let the car idle for thirty minutes and see how far the pressure drops. Minimum pressure is stamped on the underside of the sending switch. You can try heavier oil (20W50) or add Lucas stabilizer as a temporary fix.

Add your comment to this topic!