Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

setup question(s)

doberman_52
02-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I have a Sony Explode 800 watt amp, 2 12" Rockford Fosgate HE Subs, an Alpine Deck (low end). I now have my amp set fairly right with the gain levels and crossover, and I was wondering what the max power that I would actually be putting out to my subs, they are hooked up 1 per channel of 2 channels on the amp. Its sounding simmilar to a friends setup of the same subs and a 1,000 watt Rockford Fosgate amp, but with less distortion. Also, I was wondering, how can I get my deck to not move as much. The alignment in my car is off, and I dont have the time or money to mess with that right now, and I actually am putting out decent bass, and I dont really want another lens to go out. All the screws that hold it in are tight, so I cant do anything there, is there anything else that I could do?

PaulD
02-26-2007, 04:30 PM
bass output depends on a lot of other things besides amp power. Do you a factory CD player or an aftermarket one ?

doberman_52
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Alpine CDE-9842 as stated. I think I read around 200 watts RMS but that seems a little low for the sound that I am hearing, it sounds similar to a friends 1,000 watt amp and way better than any of my previous amps (358, 200, 100 watts each)

pimprolla112
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
My old polks had 150 watts going to both, so 75rms to each. I ws able to click a 138 on a tl mic at a car show. Now my new sub is a single 15" AA Atlas, and sounds louder but you cant feel the bass as much. But like paul said bass output isnt completely dependant on the amp. It can also be sub placement, direction, and vehicle type. And that sony amp isnt even close to 200 watts. Same with your friends RF amp, that are overrated like hell with there numbers the only way the ever hit close to there rms is in the lower impendances.

doberman_52
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Well, its a '90 Buick Century, subs all the way back in trunk up agenst the tails, facing backwards. I have notice this amp has bass 10 times better than my last 4 channel 400 watt jensen, 100 watts to each sub, so I would guess its pushin around 200 if not more, but I'm not sure. It could just be a better amp too. What can I do more to stabilize my HU vibrations? I don't want to go through the hasstle of that crap again. Best Buy really sucks. Also, a friend has a infinity 1200ish watt DVC sub, 500 watt Dual amp, Alpine HU. Would he want to hook each coil of the sub to a channel on the amp or what would you do to hook that up?

pimprolla112
02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
That sub might be about 300rms, ive used infinity before and liked them. Dual amps are crap, get the model number so i can see the rms wattage.

I doubt that jensen actually pushed 100 per channel. As for the HU if it was installed properly then there shouldnt be a problem. But you might have to try something like dynamat on the inside of the dash to keep it from moving.

doberman_52
02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Number on the sub or amp? Sub is around 250 or 300 watts rms, amp is around 200 i think. I was talkin to him and sayin he shoulda gone my route, I have spent about 50 to 100 bucks less than he (he hasn't finish buying the speakers or wireing yet either) and you can hear me a few blocks away, he, you can barley even tell he has anything. but how would you hook up the dual voice coils? One coil per channel? if the box leaks really bad, will that kill your bass? my 2 12" HE's kick a hundred times better than his 12" infinity. For the jenson, it said somewhere on the back that it was 100 watts per channel.

pimprolla112
02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
The 100 wats per channel can be peak or rms, jensen isnt known for there quality. The amp model number. One coil per channel can be done but if the amo can handle the load then you can get more power out of bridging it, or running at a lower impendance. I assme the 4ohm DVC infinity.

doberman_52
02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I didnt really care for the jenson, but it worked for the time being. I will get the model numbers tomorow. I think the sub is 4 ohm. What is the impendance and how would you set that?

doberman_52
02-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok, friends amp is a Dual XIA3145 580 watt amp. Sub is a 10" Infinity reference series 1052, 1,000 watt peak, 250 watt rms. sub impedence is 4 ohms, amp is 4 ohm stable, but i was looking here and I see how to wire it up now, http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1052W.

PaulD
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Number on the sub or amp? Sub is around 250 or 300 watts rms, amp is around 200 i think. I was talkin to him and sayin he shoulda gone my route, I have spent about 50 to 100 bucks less than he (he hasn't finish buying the speakers or wireing yet either) and you can hear me a few blocks away, he, you can barley even tell he has anything. but how would you hook up the dual voice coils? One coil per channel? if the box leaks really bad, will that kill your bass? my 2 12" HE's kick a hundred times better than his 12" infinity. For the jenson, it said somewhere on the back that it was 100 watts per channel.

Like I said, LOTS of things go into how much bass a system produces - and how loud it is outside the vehicle.

You typically connect both coils of a DVC sub to the same channe, in series or parrallel depending on the load you want. A leak in a sealed box will be troublesome, a bad leak in a ported box may make it unusable.

To stop a cd player from skipping, take a couple of med size tie wraps and cut them into like 1" sections. Take the mounting ring/bezel off of the cd player and stuff the tie wrap pieces BETWEEN the mounting basket and player chassis, make them fit as tight as possible. Also connect the backstrap if you can.

doberman_52
02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Like I said, LOTS of things go into how much bass a system produces - and how loud it is outside the vehicle.

You typically connect both coils of a DVC sub to the same channe, in series or parrallel depending on the load you want. A leak in a sealed box will be troublesome, a bad leak in a ported box may make it unusable.

To stop a cd player from skipping, take a couple of med size tie wraps and cut them into like 1" sections. Take the mounting ring/bezel off of the cd player and stuff the tie wrap pieces BETWEEN the mounting basket and player chassis, make them fit as tight as possible. Also connect the backstrap if you can.My friends sub isnt very loud compared to mine, and he has higher quality stuff than me. my 2 HE's, you can hear hear from a few blocks, his you can barely hear outside the car. I set the DVC up in parallel series, bridged to the amp. sounds ok, but the box still leaks a little (sealed box), I think he is gonna put silicone around it to seal it.

As for the HU, there is no back strap, and the dash vibrates a little bit too, but not much (allignment-bent frame). It doesnt skip, but I don't need another laser going out like it did around christmas (previous thread). But I will try the zip tie deal.

Add your comment to this topic!