Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Touareg

l21VWJqz
02-26-2007, 09:25 AM
We recently considered purchasing a used 2004 Touareg. After test driving this and many other SUV/Crossover’s in this category we decided that hands down the Touareg was the best value for money and extremely comfortable! However, after further investigation this is what we found. Take it for what it’s worth, but we are staying away from this vehicle for now and might consider a used 2006-07 in a couple of yrs.

2004 was the first year that this vehicle came out and if you must buy one, I would look for a late yr production one – one that was made in the 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th month. The reason being is because they did have lots of electronic/mechanical issues, but started to implement changes on the line during these months. More importantly their might be a safety issue with them. Apparently the rear end could blow out and possibly cause the vehicle to flip end over end. My source is a very reputable auto mechanic. He said that if you feel ANY vibration on either side in the rear, stay away from it!

Another point he brought to my attention is that oil changes cost $130 and scheduled maintenance runs between $2500 and $3500. Ouch!

According to CarFax, California issued a “MANUFACTURER BUYBACK
OR LEMON REPORTED” and “does not qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee” and many of the VINS I have run. There are a lot of cars that getting auctioned off in California and shipped to other sates I am sure because of the buyback/lemon.

Speaking of California, if you’re not going to drive the car there, don’t buy one that has come out of that state because they have all the emissions gadgets that are not need in many other sates, if any at all.

Auction/Wholesale Price (what the dealers are currently paying). This was taken from an auction report that took place on the East coast.

Maximum price: $24,100
Average price: $22,667
Minimum price: $20,500

hotrod213
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM
interesting reasoning. it sucks how expensive imports cost for maintenance. maybe you can get one with an extended warranty?

Add your comment to this topic!