Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

another 1998 lxi conv. not starting!

longracing25
02-26-2007, 07:57 AM
I went to start it,the engine turned over fine,but wouldn't start at all.all fuses look good.airflow okay.pulled plug wires and checked with timing light..it is firing at the plugs okay. pulled the fuel line off at the fuel log(above injectors) tried key, nothing pumped out. shouldn't gas be pumping out?my guess is the fuel filter or the pump. IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A HUM OR SOUND FROM THE FUEL PUMP WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY ON? I don't hear anything back there.I tried a code reader and all it said was "mil is off".....

longracing25
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I dropped down the fuel tank. And i went up to turn on the key to see if the pump made any noise or to check the volts back there...and i thought i heard something, so i went ahead and turned the key,and it STARTED!. I didn't do anything else, or check anything(should have!)...bolted the tank back up in.Put the gas back in....tried the key, it tried to start...but then nothing! OUCH! That is really annoying after bolting that damn thing back up.It has ramps underneath the back and the gage is just above the empty "redlines"....so i'm wondering if i need to go grab some gas, since it is up on ramps....any ideas. I have read somewhere,maybe on here , something about hitting the fuel pump and it working......or something. Does this sound like a faulty pump or wiring, if not low fuel at this point?....any ideas?

longracing25
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
If the key is on...shouldn't the fuel pump hum, or make a noise? I'm trying to figure out if this is a bad fuel pump...

hundahunta
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
I would remove the intake and shoot some carb cleaner into the intake if it starts it's a fuel problem. I would then remove the fuel pump relay and jump the #30 and 87 and check if the pump turns on and stays on. If it does you will need to get under the vehicle and have someone turn the key on, the pump will only turn on for a sec or so then turn off.

Add your comment to this topic!