Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Door Lock Problem

grodrianst
02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey all, I bought a '98 avenger 2.5L last weekend and am working on some of its issues. The current one that has me stumped is the power door locks. The previous owner said that if you left the fuse in for the doors it drained the battery. When I put the fuse in it both doors lock and you cannot manually unlock them, when you push the electric button to unlock you can hear a "clicking" noise from the center console behind the radio but the doors still will not unlock. Is there a solonoid or relay or something in here that may need changed or does this sound more like a short someplace? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BeautifulHaven
03-08-2007, 07:12 AM
This may or may not help ya, but I had the same problem with my 99' avenger. I kept hearing a clicking noise come from my radio evertime I locked or unlocked my car doors. My relay's ended up going bad and needed to be replaced and everything works fine now. :grinyes:
Not saying that this might be your problem, but I would look into it. It is frustrating because I had no idea where my drain was coming from. I always kept thinking it was my fuse. Hope this helps and goodluck!

grodrianst
03-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks, I pulled the relay on Friday. Where did you get the new one dealership or auto parts store like AutoZone or Advance?

BeautifulHaven
03-16-2007, 01:24 AM
well I took my car to the dealership only because I couldn't figure out where my drain was. The dealership took care of it from there and replaced the relays for me, but you can probably get them at Autozone. I would imagine that you could. :)
Hope it helps

grodrianst
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I ended up having the dealership look at mine too while taking care of the recall on the lower ball joints. $70.00 for the "diagnostics" $80.00 for the relay and it still isn't fixed. Now they say it is the "ETAX controller" whatever that is. According to them it is a $400-$500 part. Can anyone tell me what it is, is it part of the ECU or something? I think I can probably find a cheaper ECU on eBay or at the junkyard and replace the whole thing if that is what it is. Thanks for the help.

BeautifulHaven
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I would not be able to help you there. I know a little bit about cars, but not enough of the electrical system or computer side part of them. Sorry your relays did not fix the problem...I would look around different places though to get prices. Dealerships always want to charge ya more for some reasons...that is why I can't stand them to much personally :)
Good luck though!

Add your comment to this topic!