Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sunbird Electrical Problems

Dak2
02-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I've got a 1993 Sunbird LE with the 3.1L V6 engine.

The car won't start at all, and there is no power.

First, here's a little background:

About a year ago I had a problem with rain water leaking inside the car. My local dealership checked it out and told they had fixed the problem.
Long story short, the car has been in storage now for a few months, and when I went to pick it up the floor inside was soaked. So obviously the problem wasn't fixed properly. :shakehead

Now the car has no power whatsoever. When a friend and I tried to boost it, there was a huge amount of draw, and at one point we actually got sparks and even flames coming off the booster cables :eek: when I tried to turn over the car. The car actually did start though. :)

So we let the car run for about half an hour to charge up before driving it.
When I got in to drive away (it was dark outside) I hit the headlight switch, and as soon as I did, the car died and all power was gone. :banghead:

I'm inclined to believe that the leak has corroded a wire somewhere and is causing this problem, but I don't really know where to begin.
I don't want to try boosting it again considering the sparks and flames situation.

Can anyone give me some direction? :frown:

Thanks!!

richtazz
03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Have you had the battery checked? It sounds like you may have a dead shorted cell.

Add your comment to this topic!