Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Sunbird No Spark/No Start

provensa
02-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Bird was driving fine but on last 3 short trips a little minor skipping for a few seconds. Then I backed out of the drive-way and noticed something amiss-did good to get around the block and would only go 5 MPG max up a hill and did good to get home back in drive-way. A no spark/no start situation since. Hubby says ecm and is attempting to replace one but doesn't know what size wrench to take out the unit. Any help would be appreciated before I brain him! Also what else could this be?

richtazz
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Welcome to AF.

How long has it been since it's been tuned up (plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter)? These cars give almost no warning when the plugs and wires go bad. One minute it's fine, the next, barely runs. If the plugs and wires are fairly new, and since your car is a 3.1, I would check the crank position sensor, the coil packs and the ignition module next. If you have an Auto Zone or Advance Auto in your area, they will check the ignition module for free. These are 3 common causes of lack of power, missing, no start issues. Your husband needs to remember to start with basic maintenance first, and tackle the big items afterward.

provensa
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks So Much for the info!! My husband did install(partially) the ignition module but he lost one of the bolts holding the module to the motor (dropped it down onto the motor some unknown spot and looked everywhere). We are waiting on this bolt to be ordered from Michigan. He did hook the water hose back up to see if the motor would start and it cranked right up. Seems promising. Do we need to do anything else after it is installed and everything is put back together? This Sunbird Convertible was driving great until this happened all of a sudden and only has 86,000 miles on it which I guess is not alot to be 13 years old.

provensa
03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
An ignition control module was installed and started right up but speedometer and overdrive doesn't work now. I was told this was due to a bad VSS or vehicle speed sensor . Where is it and does it control the speedometer and overdrive? Any help would be appreciated! 1992 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1 6 cylinder automatic.

richtazz
03-16-2007, 01:05 PM
The VSS is in the transmission, passenger side of the car, near where the passenger side axle hooks to the trans. The VSS sends the signal for the speedometer, as wells as for the TCC lockup. If it fails or is unplugged, the speedo will not function, nor will the torque converter lock. Your car only came with a 3-spd auto (there is no overdrive), but when the TCC locks the converter in at steady cruising speed, it will drop a few hundred RPM as the converter is no longer slipping. This is to improve highway mileage, and reduce trans temperatures, and can feel like a 4th gear when it engages.

provensa
03-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks So Much Richtazz! Found out it was the VSS wires with no insulation on any of them and they were touching I guess grounding out. I taped them spreading both apart and everything is working properly. Have no idea why they had no insulation on them; just copper naked wires with a piece of tape on it. My Sunbird Convertible is running like a new one and I am so glad! (With Your Help!)
Thanks!
Provensa (Sheila)

richtazz
03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
You're very welcome, glad I could help you out.

anomaly_va_1976
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
By overdrive I assume you mean the TCC.... the VSS connector should be above the passenger's side drive axle.

Add your comment to this topic!